A Thank You To All The People Who’ve Impacted My Life

A letter to all the beautiful humans who have made this journey everything and more

17507

“Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are.”

-Markus Zusak

Dear You,

Yes, You -- thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You have impacted my life in a way you could not even begin to fathom, and this letter is long overdue. The role that you’ve had in my life -- regardless of how long or how brief, how positive or negative, how ordinary or extraordinary, has shaped my world for the better. You have taught me lessons, shown me different paths I could travel, guided me through the ebbs and flows of life, and made an irrevocable impact on who I am.

When I was an unlovable monster you showed me love. When I was a confused student you showed me guidance. When I was an exasperated teenager you showed me patience. When I was a heartbroken mess you showed me I could live without you. When I was me you showed me that that was enough. That is what is so amazing about you -- that in this crazy life my soul got so tangled up with yours that you became a role model, a mentor, a lesson, a love, and a friend.

Time after time when I kept running back to you hoping we could work things out you taught me to let go. When I would come to you seeking joy and fulfillment you showed me that I was my own limitless source of happiness. You were a lesson I had to learn -- you taught me that I could grow. Even if I had wished we had never met, I know now that having you in my life changed me for the better.

You have absolutely rocked my world. You have sat up with me until three in the morning with sleep in our eyes, daydreaming about the future. You’ve hiked hours with me just to reach the most beautiful places. You’ve taken me out in public even though I’m socially awkward. You’ve driven hours just to say “hi.” You’ve sat with me in the classroom and given up your time. You have managed to make my life, and countless other lives, better. Never forget that. No matter what role you had in my life you taught me something and I can never thank you enough for that.

Whether you have served as a constant guiding light or just a brief brightly shooting star in my universe you have made my life better. You let me into your world and I let you into mine. You are such a rad, crazy, groovy, intelligent, unique, and wonderful human being, and I thank my lucky stars that I got to meet you. I am so thankful for you and I feel so lucky for all the other people who have yet to meet you.

Sending you all the love in the world.