thank u next video review

5 Reasons Ariana Grande's 'Thank U, Next' Is Exactly What This College Girl Needed

It's definitely a bop, but it's so much more.

44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=281&v=gl1aHhXnN1k

So, if you haven't been living under a rock, you would've noticed that Ariana Grande just dropped a much-anticipated music video for her song "thank u, next" on November 30, 2018.

No? You have been living under a rock and missed it? Take a quick gander.

Ariana Grande - thank u, next www.youtube.com

Okay, so now that you're educated, you'll understand what I'm about to say: I love everything this video is and what it represents.

Now, unpopular opinion here, but I'm not the biggest fan of Ariana's music. I'm not going to rage if I hear it in a public location, but I'm definitely going to search for something else on the radio if I stumble upon one of her songs.

So, I'd never heard this song until watching the video, and, alliteration aside, I quite enjoy the melody, the message, and the media involved with this masterpiece for the following reasons.

1. It's a delightful blast from the past

With remakes of our favorite 2000s films, like "Bring It On," "Legally Blonde," "13 Going On 30," and, of course, "Mean Girls," watching this video is like sitting down for a Throwback Thursday movie marathon.

As someone who's all about both watching movies and being reminded of a simpler time when I didn't have so many adult responsibilities, I'm all about it. Seeing the video for the first time, it was an adventure guessing each movie as the reference popped up and seeing all the ways that the directors captured the essence of each one.

The use of original actors was also a pleasant surprise. Seeing Paulette from "Legally Blonde" doing a Bend and Snap reprise was one of the many highlights of this video.

Also, I see you, old "Victorious" cast-mates, I see you.

2. Presents past relationships as learning experiences

Break-ups suck. Rejection hurts. Love stinks (yeah, yeah). I've been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt, and I get it.

Most everyone has experiences with the downsides of romantic relationships, and it's easy to be bitter and stay that way. However, as Ariana reminds us, our past relationships can teach us a thing or two about love and how we as individuals interact with that crazy beast.

She even literally says "One taught me love / One taught me patience / And one taught me pain." Though it's not always pretty, this song is all about perspective, and this song is a lovely bop that lends us said perspective.

3. The growth! The acceptance! The self-love!

With the awesomeness of the video itself, it's easy for the lyrics to get swallowed up and dismissed. However, I urge you to do a quick Google, or at least really listen to what Ariana is singing, and absorb the lessons that she's preaching.

Lines like "I've loved and I've lost / But that's not what I see / 'Cause look what I've found / Ain't no need for searching" reinforce the lessons learned from past relationships, and, more importantly, that those same relationships lead you toward a better you that you didn't even know you were looking for.

"Spend more time with my friends / I ain't worried 'bout nothin'" tells that friends are an invaluable part of life who help us through the adult paths of love. No need to worry when you're surrounded by your amazing peeps.

Also, the second verse and pre-chorus is essentially a love poem to herself, which I'm all about.

4. It's a positive ex-slam song

So, when you listen to the first chorus of the song, you hear a list of four Ariana exes. This essential at-ing her exes are semi-reminiscent of 90 percent of Taylor Swift's songs in which Taylor does basically the same move.

However, that's where the comparison ends, because rather than the "poop you and your mom" vibe that Taylor Swift rocks, Ariana Grande then goes into an entire banger about literally thanking them. She even says "I'm so fuckin' grateful for my ex," and while one could argue that she's being sarcastic and ironic, it really does seem sincere.

Ariana's basically saying, "Yo, I'm calling you out in this song, but it's because we didn't work out for many reasons, some being you-centered and some being me-centered. We're cool, I thank you immensely, but I'm looking toward the next big thing."

Hint: The next big thing is definitely her.

5. The video is just a party

As we're all moving quickly into December, finals week becomes a real issue for us college folk. Add that to the inevitable cold of the winter season, and you have a combination that makes me want to hibernate instead of being productive.

This video, while not necessarily inspiring me to be productive, gives me a momentary distraction from dreary homework and final projects. The catchy tune, the multiple shades of pink, the funny scenes, and the wonderful heels that Ariana constantly rocks makes me forget that I have way too much to do.

Sometimes, you need that five-minute break.

Regardless of how you feel about Ariana Grande, her lifestyle, or her music, I think we can all get down like Kris Jenner and say, "Thank you, next, bitch."