To The Teacher Who Inspired Me, Thank You

You showed me what I wanted to grow up to be.

397
Instagram/justashleyreed

Teachers aren't given nearly as much credit as they should be. Having a teacher that goes above and beyond can be the extra push a kid needs to feel like they're good enough, like they can do whatever their mind to, or even just help them get through the day. I know it sounds sappy, but it's true.

From as early as I can remember, I've always been nervous about everything. It doesn't matter if there's nothing to be nervous about—I promise you my mind can conjure something up. I feel like I never truly got to be a kid since I was too worried to be carefree when everyone else my age was. Of course, the constant worry I felt carried over when I started school. Thankfully, the teachers I had in elementary school gave me a support system away from home. It sounds silly, but they really became like a second family.

My mom had to drag me into school every single day of kindergarten, and you practically had to pry my arms off of her. I probably would've hyperventilated before I could've gotten to the door if I had to try to walk in by myself. No matter how big of a scene I was making or how dramatic I acted, the principal was always there trying to make me feel better. He saw me grow from a little kid who was scared of everything on the first day of kindergarten into a slightly bigger kid who was slightly less scared of everything and even managed to sing in front of the school for a talent show in 5th grade before I graduated from that school.

After kindergarten, I stopped freaking out as much and got to enjoy school—ya know, besides the waking up early and homework part. I had a teacher in 3rd grade who I was honestly terrified of at first. I really don't know why. I guess it was just because anyone who speaks louder than a mouse would typically frighten me—did I mention I get nervous easily? She ended up being one of the most caring teachers I ever had. First of all, I still remember little things she taught, which is crazy considering I was only like 8. It's been a decade. Whenever I have to graph something in a math class I still hear the little "slidin' then climbin'" saying she taught us to learn how to read coordinates.

On top of that, she genuinely cared about us as students. I took gymnastics with a girl who was my best friend at the time, and we had an exhibition that we were so excited about. We went to school and invited our teacher. Would you believe she actually went for us? Looking back on it now, it makes me really happy we had a teacher that cared that much.

During my last couple years of elementary school, I worked in the library—a few of us kids did. Our "work" was that we helped sort books and got paid in candy, which was the life for me considering the love of my life was candy. The librarian seemed to pretty much embrace us as her kids. She was always really easy to talk to, and that was super helpful. I went through a thing where I felt really guilty if I did anything fun without my mom being there. For an AR trip we were going to the movies to see "The Princess and the Frog," and I was really excited...until I thought about that my mom wanted to see it, and I would be seeing it without her. While we were at the movies, my stomach was in knots and I was just so upset. I finally calmed down and loved the movie.

After it was over, the librarian came over to make sure I was okay and gave me a big hug. Maybe it seems like nothing, but it meant everything to me in the moment. It meant everything to know that even if I was away from my mom or dad, I had someone who cared that I was okay.

It's the little things that made me feel safe and made me feel that school wasn't so terrible. It's the little things that stuck in my mind from when my age was single digits to now. It's the little things I want to do for my students whenever I become a teacher. Up until recently, I didn't know what I wanted to be. After seeing some teachers that just don't care, I wasn't sure I wanted to be a teacher because I didn't want that to become me. I didn't want to go in hating everything about my job every day and just count down the days until it's over. The thing is...that won't be me. I'm not saying I'll love my job every single day or that I won't be tired of it at times, but I know for a fact that I will never stop caring. If I can help a kid see a little bit of light, then I feel like I'm helping do my job. I'm lucky I had teachers who showed me what I want to be.

Thank you,

From your former student who is a future teacher.