A Thank You Letter To My Sorority Sisters

I cannot thank you enough for giving me my sense of belonging.

123
Storm Durham

To my sisters,

Thank you. Thank you for standing behind me in the good, the bad, and the memories. Thank you for holding me, wiping my tears, and laughing with me. I never really felt like I "fit in" in college. Sure, I had friends and I had extremely close friends. But I never felt like I had those friends who if they saw you in public they would pick you to sit with. Or the friends that would continue to sit with you even if someone "more popular" or "better" walked through the door.

Even in high school I struggled. I struggled being "the other friend." The friend who was called when the other three friends before me bailed on them last minute, or the friend who they would hang out with outside of school but in school they were too good to be seen with me. I struggled finding my group, I struggled to be "the right friend."

The moment I stepped into our first chapter meeting, I felt the love. The moment I was introduced to women from different states, different backgrounds, different home situations but none of that mattered. I cannot even describe the overwhelming feeling I got at initiation when I knew in my heart that I was going to finally be "that friend." The friend they picked to eat lunch with, the friend they chose to hang out with even if others were around, the friend they would talk to in and outside of school. Let me tell you, that is one amazing feeling.

I use to be one of those girls who swore up and down that greek life was not for me. One of the girls who would turn around and walk the other way with my head down when a group of them were coming because I saw myself as not as good as them. I was the girl who listened to the stereotypes from fraternities or non-greek life members who cannot stand sorority girls.

My sisters helped me realize I am good enough. I am good enough for them, and I am good enough to be a representative of a great organization. My sisters gave me confidence. Confidence I never had before. It is something about wearing those sorority letters, knowing you belong somewhere that gives you an overwhelming feeling of confidence and belonging. Don't get me wrong, I still agree that greek life isn't for everyone, but it is for someone who doesn't know where they belong yet. It is for someone who could use the endless love and support no matter what.

So to every single one of my sisters, no matter the chapter, no matter the state.. I sincerely from the bottom of my heart thank you. Thank you for giving me my sense of self, for giving me a sense of where I belong, and for giving me endless best friends for eternity.