A Thank You Letter to My Stay at Home Mom

You are a kick ass human being.

595
Courtesy of Author

Most people look at parents who work three jobs to keep their family afloat as heroes. Yes, these people are heroes and I respect what they do they are true backbones of families. The household heroes many often overlook are the ones who may realistically do the most. These are stay at home moms. My dad works extremely hard to provide for our family. He works hard enough at his job that my mom doesn't have to work. He is a hero for this and I admire him for this. However, sometimes he may have the easier job. My mom is truly the backbone of our family (no offense Dad, I'm sure you actually agree with this).

Dear Mom,

I know that I make fun of you for being a stay at home mom. I have told you you got your "Mrs. Degree" and often stated that you have no job. I hope you know that this is all in good fun and that I truly do appreciate everything you do for the family. I respect your JOB as a stay at home mom more than anything.

One thing that I will never be able to put into words in my gratitude for everything you have sacrificed for your children. Being a stay at home mom is a huge sacrifice. You went to an outstanding college and worked your ass off to get a degree in something you are passionate about. You worked in this field and pursued your goal and dream for a while, but then you found out you weren't just going to be the mom of baby Emily, and that you had two little babies on the way (Nick and me) and you gave up your job to take care of us. This is something that is so selfless. You gave up your passion to ensure your three children found theirs. Without a stay at home mom we wouldn't have been on multiple hockey teams, a soccer team, a softball or baseball team, and participating in things like girl scouts. Without these opportunities, I would have never found that hockey was a true passion of mine and even if I had I wouldn't have been able to pursue it as hectically as I did if it wasn't for you. We never had to worry about having a ride to practice or a parent in the stands if dad was working because we always had you. Dad always seemed to make an appearance with you but when he couldn't we still had someone. Thank you for this.

Being the child of a stay at home mom also meant never taking the school bus. Dad often dropped us off at school before work but you were always there to pick us up. We also got to come home to a clean house and some sort of after school snack ready for us. Doing homework was never an issue because you were always there to help us when we needed it. I had a mom who volunteered at school bake sales and events all the time and was actively involved in the school community. My dad got involved in school events and activities as well however it was easier for my mom to do so making her there more often. Thank you for this.

Another benefit of being the child of a stay at home mom is that you never went to daycare and in my case, I never went to preschool (my mom was a preschool teacher before giving up her work to take care of us). Instead, we spent our days on adventures to the zoo, the mall, the movies, and other crazy and fun places. My mom was always there to go on an adventure with us kids. These are memories I will never forget and will always be grateful for. Thank you for this.

You are truly one of the most kick-ass individuals I have ever met. I aspire to be at least half the mom you are to Emily, Nick, and me and if I can accomplish that I know that I will be doing a damn good job. Please never think what you do goes unnoticed.

Thank you for everything.

Sincerely,

Your eternally grateful daughter.