A Thank You Letter To My Brother

A Thank You Letter To My Brother

He's my friend. He's my brother.

1112
A Thank You Letter To My Brother
Connie Parmenter

A Thank You Letter To My Brother

Dear Brother,

When I was born I was your best friend, I soon turned into a little devil child and we went through a phase were we couldn’t stand each other. Now as we grow up and enjoy this crazy ride of life, we’ve created an unbreakable bond.

There’s so much I could thank you for and if I told you this all in person I’m sure there would be some sort of tagline like, “Don’t be sappy like mom.”

Thank you for being my buddy. I’ve always looked up to you… mostly because you’ve always been so much taller than me but you get the point. Thank you for letting me tag along whether it was being the pink Power Ranger, putting on an N*SYNC concert for mom and dad, or hanging out with your friends when I wasn’t seen as a “cool little sister.” Even though all your friends thought I was more fun than you :)

Thank you for being my original car singing partner. I remember how excited you were when you first got your permit even though you failed it the first time! Then a short 3 months later, siblings are allowed to ride in the car. I definitely killed your 15 year old swag, but you embraced it. From burned C.D.s to Spotify, our playlists have always been the best. My favorite, "Return of the Mack" on maximum volume. And thank you for jamming to One Direction with me, even in our 20s.

Thank you for telling me that college will be the best 4 years of my life. I’ll never forget your words of wisdom you gave me a few weeks before leaving. After you talked about all your drunken nights that you barely remember, you shared softer words. You told me that I would meet new friends that could potentially be my future bridesmaids and you said I could even meet my future husband there too. But you did say, “Don’t go looking for people to fill these roles, they will come to you.” You told me not to rush it. Everyone had their doubts that I couldn’t make it longer than a month. I was anxious and petrified to be away from home. I’m sure you had your doubts too, but you never expressed them to me. You had faith in me.

Thank you for letting me share the same love of sports as you do. I know you wished for a little brother (probably Dudley if mom had any say in that decision) to show the ropes to. I’ve always played the same sports that you have because you made them look fun and easy. I have my love for Fenway Park because of you. P.S. thanks for buying my first drink at Cask N’ Flagon. I’m also still waiting for my own ticket to a Patriots game this season, please share!

Thank you for looking out for me. After dad you’ve always been my next male protector (even though when mom is in protection mode, she gets her “man” voice LOL). Since we are four years apart, you graduated and a few months later I entered into freshman year. You told me which boys to stay away from, which in the long run I was thankful for. You also told me which classes to take and which teachers to take them with. I know you’re always a text/phone call away if I need something.

You’ve taught me to always stay humble and hungry. Also that there will always be people there trying to take you down, but it’s how you react that’s what matters. We’ve both embraced mom’s lesson of, “Success is the best revenge.” You’re latest shared wisdom is, “Go against the grain.” We live in a cookie cutter society where everyone is trying to be the same and afraid to step out against the norm. So thank you for always sharing your wisdom and inspiring sayings. They are greatly appreciated and I’m blessed to hear them from you.

I could keep going, but most importantly thank you for all the memories we’ve had thus far. The best is yet to come!

Love,

Your Sister