To The Friend That Says 'Text Me When You Get Home Safely'

It's more than just a salutation.

3068

I had a great time when we went out last night. We dressed in our best attire and danced the night away and laughed until sprite came out your nose (I won't let that slide, by the way). It was one of the best nights we had in a while. I dropped you back at your house and right before you closed the passenger door you said

"Text me when you get home safe."

I cheerfully replied that I would and drove off into the night. I had a smooth drive home and as soon as I hit my bedroom door, my tight dress came off and my flannel pants and a cotton t-shirt went on. I wiped all of my makeup off tied my hair up and hit the sheets. When I awoke, I got your message

-3:30 am "You Home?"

I had forgotten to text back

Here it is. The 11:30 am "Yes I did, did you sleep well?"

I normally go on about my day, thinking that my forgetfulness was an honest mistake. However, today hit differently.

What if I couldn't text you at all? What if I never opened your message? What if those were the last words you said to me? What if I didn't get home safe?

Reflecting on this small gesture shows exactly how much life could change in the blink of an eye. I realized to never take that text lightly and reminded my self to say the same when they depart.

Dear friend, I'm sorry I took that message for granted.

Those seven words are words of reassurance.

Those seven words are words of pure care and safety.

I'm sorry that I didn't text back leaving you in wonderment for 8 hours.

I'm so glad that last night wasn't the last night.

I will honor your sweet reminder

I am truly grateful for you.

Friends that say that shouldn't be taken for granted.