When You Give A California Girl Texas Weather

Why Texas weather sucks.

675
Baylor University / Instagram

Monday: shorts and a T-shirt.

Tuesday: winter coat.

Wednesday: beach clothes.

Thursday: leggings or jeans.

Friday: rain jacket and boots.

Essentially wearing flip flops and boots in the same week.

This is an accurate representation of Texas weather.

It is so bizarre how fast the weather in Texas changes it mind. One day you see sun, the next day you see lightning. It’s one thing to check the weather app once a day, but it’s another to check the weather app every hour to make sure you’re prepared for the very near future.

I’m trying really hard to like Texas, but its weather is not making it easy. I’m used to more consistent weather in California. Maybe I’ve just been spoiled these past few years. Either way, I would appreciate if Texas could be more stable when it comes to weather — especially as a freshman living in a dorm. In the morning, I’m wearing multiple layers, then I start sweating towards the afternoon, and by the end of the day, I regret not bringing an umbrella.

As inconvenient as Texas weather has been so far, and will be, the mix of weather sometimes pulls through. Last month, we checked our weather, and it said that there would be a snow storm. We received the best notification that said that all classes were canceled due to the snow storm. I was so ready, as this was going to be my first snow day ever. I woke up the next day and I took one look out the window to see absolutely nothing except dead grass. As disappointing as that experience was, at least I got a day off class to relax.

Texas weather needs to work on making up its mind, at least for the week. With all the mix of weather these past few weeks, I felt compelled to write about how aggravating this whole experience has been for a California-raised girl. But I guess it’s just part of the out-of-state experience and I will continue to embrace it.