Tessa’s Declassified Spring Break Survival Guide

Come with me if you want to not die.

18

Spring break, as we have all see on TV and in movies, can get wild. Some of us are just going to hang out, go home, or work, but others of us will be trying to get our quintessential, beachy spring break experience. If you’re the latter, here are some tips for you.

Drink Water

You’re probably somewhere hot and sunny for spring break, and you’re probably having some drinks that are pretty dehydrating. (Less subtle: Alcohol is a diuretic which means it will not quench your thirst.) In order to not pass out halfway through the first day, keep a [reusable] water bottle next to you at all times and keep drinking it!

Don’t Litter

You know those pictures and videos of beaches after spring break where there’s garbage everywhere? And they make me cry? Do you want to make me cry??

Fanny Packs Are Your Friends

I know some people think the fanny pack is back and some think it should stay dead. No matter where you are in that debate, please consider wearing one. It’s a great way to keep all your valuables on you, and it’s hard to steal.

Slather On The Sunscreen

You know what really kills a spring break vibe? Getting burned to a crisp two days in. I know everyone is trying to compete for the best tan, but protect yourself from skin cancer and a burn that makes it hard to party by stocking up on sunscreen and reapplying it frequently.

Wear A Hat

Think just sunscreen will protect you from sunburn? Wrong. If you have a full head of hair (no shade if you don’t), you probably can’t apply sunscreen to your vulnerable scalp. Unless you want a scalp sunburn that looks suspiciously like dandruff when it peels, wear a hat in the sun.

Call Your Parents

If you chose to spend spring break with your friends instead of your family, call your parents. They’re probably a little worried and a little disappointed that they can’t see you for one of the few breaks of the semester. And, hey, maybe a call will convince them to buy you dinner.

Eat (Well)

I’m going to preface this by saying that I know people work hard to get a spring break beach bod. Don’t try to keep that up when you’re actually on spring break. One cheat week isn’t going to ruin your summer body, so please eat as much as you need to. Load up on carbs so you have the energy to do everything you want to do because you’ll probably die if you keep eating salads for the week. But try to eat, like, one vegetable a day, too. For me?

Don’t Take Things From Strangers

The boy you met on the beach is not your new boyfriend, so don’t accept sketchy gifts from him. I guess this also goes for taking things that are not given to you, too. Don’t steal.

No (Wo)Man Left Behind

Keep your friends close and your spring break group closer. Make sure that everyone is staying together and having a safe, good time. It’s best if you all stay together at all times, but if one person has to take a break from the festivities, make sure they at least have a group to take care of them.

And that’s what you need to know for spring break! Have fun but not too much fun, okay?