Tesla Model 3: What to expect

Tesla Model 3: What to expect

As The Anticipation grows, What Should You Expect?

244
Tesla Model 3: What to expect

As every Tesla Fanatic knows, the Model 3 is the newest addition to the Tesla lineup. With its beautifully sleek exterior, and equally luxurious interior, it has become the deciding factor for Tesla's success or failure. News on the Model 3 has only recently seen any light. Although scarce, enough information on the Model 3 has surfaced to give everyone a decent concept on its abilities, and impacts on its customers. The most recent news on the vehicle, was a vague comment regarding its battery options by Elon Musk. Musk informed everyone via twitter, that the Model 3 would not be able to have a 100kWh option, placing a cap on the options available for the car. During the reveal of the Model 3 last year, Tesla revealed that the car would have a minimum range of approximately 215 miles.

More recently Tesla Tested one of the Model 3 prototypes, and later confirmed that it was outfitted with a 70kwh battery and dual motors. Making the Model 3 70D the first confirmed option for the car. Once you know the battery pack used on the vehicle, you can then get an estimation on its range. Lets break it down. The Model S gets an estimated 218 miles with a 60kWh battery, and since the Model 3 is both smaller and lighter than the Model S. To achieve the 215 mile minimum, the base Model 3 option is most likely a 70kWh battery, restricted by software. Manufacturing a smaller battery pack might not be needed.

Unless of course the Model 3 prototype seen, was using a 75kWh pack, restricted by software to 70kWh.

Other than the base model, there is no doubt the Model 3 will have larger battery options. The specifics on those however, will have to wait until the next unveiling.

Near the end of February, Tesla will be manufacturing a few pre-production models of their new car. Since Tesla hopes to start production of the Model 3 by the middle of this year, the outcome of this test production will decide whether or not Tesla can meet their deadline. Afterwards, it will be time to prepare for the second unveiling of the Model 3. My expectation is that the event could happen near the end of march, marking one year after the first unveiling. This event would most likely reveal the models options, as well as any changes they made to the design, and progress towards the availability of Tesla's fully autonomous autopilot.