9 Terrible Smells You Totally Smell Willingly

Human beings are strange creatures that enjoy the occasional suffering.

118
Pexels.com

The world is full of wonderful sensations, the touch of a cat’s paw, the sight of a double rainbow, the sound of bird’s fighting over food, the combined tastes of a sushi roll, and the familiar smell of your best friend’s laundry detergent.

The world has also gifted us with many bad smells, but like the freaks we humans are, we for some reason enjoy them. Here’s a list of some awful smells that we all know and love, complete with a Bad Smell Rating for how bad it really is (so basically it’s a rating of how weird you are for liking it).

1. Burnt Popcorn

Has the potential to linger in your kitchen for two days. It’s really not that hard to avoid. There’s a popcorn button on most microwaves, and yet, we all know this scent as well as the smell of our own shampoo. Absolutely horrible, and yet you find yourself standing in front of the microwave wafting the soiled air into your nostrils.

Bad Smell Rating: 8/10

2. Gasoline

I personally LOVE this smell. By “terrible” I mean terrible for your health. There’s probably so many poisonous things in there. A good rule of thumb, if you can’t eat it and still have a good chance of living you probably shouldn’t vigorously smell it either. Of course, the only way you can REALLY smell gasoline is by spilling it on the ground or on yourself while at the pump. Neither of those are encouraged.

Bad Smell Rating: 1/10

3. Cigarette Smoke

Another of those things that I actually like the smell of…at first. Smells great when in the air, but once its trapped in a soft fabric-like material (clothes, car interior, a cat’s fur), it starts to go pretty stale. My little pre-teen heart was addicted to that smell because it smelled like bad boys and rebellion (neither of which I had any encounters with). Now it just kinda smells like stress and potential lung cancer.

Bad Smell Rating: 3/10

4. Too Much Perfume/Cologne

Encountered regularly when working in retail and food service in restaurants with a senior discount or overpriced men's clothing stores. "Good god did they bathe in it?" Simultaneously entrances me and makes me want to vomit. Once you smell it you just can’t stop. Maybe you’re just trying to see if it’s still there, or maybe you’re trying to convince yourself it’s really not that bad. Avoid breathing at all costs to avoid this trap.

Bad Smell Rating: 9/10

5. Skunk

Assaults your nose, but also gives you a feeling of oneness with nature. Still pretty terrible. You most likely smell it because it’s not that common of a smell. Like, this experience doesn’t come around very often. Take it in while you can. I just hope the skunk is okay. What if it got hit by a car? Don’t think about that cute skunk in Bambi. What was the name again? Flower. Oh god it was so cute. I hope the skunk is okay.

Bad Smell Rating: 5/10

6. Dumpster

I literally mistook this smell for the smell of cookie dough (I swear I wasn’t on anything) while walking into my school, much to my boyfriend’s amusement. There was a truck that looked like it could be selling something nearby. I quickly ran over to it assuming it was some kind of cookie truck. Nope. I just got really close to the dumpster. No idea what that truck was for though…

Bad Smell Rating: 6/10

7. Bleach

Really any cleaning supplies. It’s bad as in like you’ll probably pass out if you smell too much of it. And it kinda burns your nose. And sometimes your eyes. That’s why you’re totally supposed to have the vent on when you clean your bathroom, but I’d prefer to trap myself in my little sealed fortress of freshness.

Bad Smell Rating: 4/10

8. Sweaty Groin

Does not discriminate between sexes. Don’t lie. You gladly sniff your smelly region after three days of not showering. Probably a horrible smell to everyone else, but something about the smell of your own junk is alluring. And occasionally your partner’s too.

Bad Smell Rating: 2/10

9. Dog Farts

WAY worse than human gas. It takes you like at least four sniffs just to be sure that’s what it is, but as soon as you’re sure you instantly regret it and probably shout out your dog’s name only for them to look up at you with this adorable innocent expression, usually combined with a cute puppy head tilt like “what did I do?” and that’s literally the only reason you never get mad.

Bad Smell Rating: 10/10