10 Tips For Keeping Smooth Skin In The Winter Months

Tackle the dreadful winter skin blues.

22

All right, let’s get real here—winter weather is never a fun time for skin. Not only is the cold air a thief to the small amount of remaining moisture, but so are the inviting piping hot showers and the warm nights bundled up next to a burning fireplace. You may think that the only solution to this problem would be the constant application of a heavy-duty moisturizer, but guess again. I am here to give you 10 tips to keep your skin feeling fresh. Stick around to learn how to say goodbye to that dry, patchy irritation and hello to a smooth, flawless face and body!

Wash in lukewarm water.

Those super hot showers may be tempting after coming in from the freezing cold winds outside, but try to avoid them at all costs. The piping hot water actually drains the moisture from your skin. It is super important to always wash with lukewarm water.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

Just do it—everywhere! Winter is definitely the season to add as much moisture back into your body as possible. The best times to moisturize are immediately after washing your face or taking a shower. One tip for super smooth skin is to apply some Johnson’s Baby Oil to your damp skin after a shower. Just trust me on this one, it works wonders.

Don't forget to drink.

Staying hydrated is something that you should remember to do no matter what type of weather it is. Simple water is always great, but if you want to jazz it up, take some warm water with lemon to bed with you to improve your skin and keep it clear and healthy. Another tip is to have a cup of green tea before bed. My favorite is the Yogi Blueberry Slim Life Green Tea (you can buy bulks of it on Amazon.com for cheap!). Not only is green tea good for your metabolism, but it also helps hydrate skin and keep acne away.

Dedicate a night each week to using a hydrating face mask.

Hydrating face masks are a fun way to put stripped moisture back into your skin. Have a do-it-yourself night and make a homemade avocado hydrating mask. All you need is one-half an avocado, one-half a ripe banana, and one tablespoon of olive oil. Mix these ingredients up and apply for 15–20 minutes. This mask is one of my favorites. If you're looking to avoid the do-it-yourself route, a mask that I would recommend is the GlamGlow Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment.

Dress warm and protect your face.

One easy tip to remember when it comes to protecting your skin in the winter is to dress properly. This is such a simple task that most of us avoid. Next time you're heading outdoors, throw on a scarf, hat, and some gloves. You’ll thank me later.

Get your vitamin C on!

Vitamin C isn’t just for the summer months—vitamin C is actually known for boosting the production of collagen in the body, leading to plumper and healthier looking skin!

If you're planning on taking a bath...

Add some milk to the mix! Sound strange? The proteins and vitamins in milk actually soothe dry and rough skin. Not into the idea of bathing in milk? No problem! Instead add some oatmeal or baking soda (…I got baking soda…) to make irritated skin feel 10 times better.

Having a problem with your lips?

The winter can really take a toll on your lips, chapping them to a new extreme. First step is to always have a tube of balm on you. If constant moisturizing doesn’t do the trick, try using a clean toothbrush and some sugar to gently exfoliate the dead skin off your lips. Move the brush and sugar in small circular motions for the best results. This is a quick and yummy fix to help heal those lips!

A humidifier—say what?

That’s right! Invest in a humidifier to improve not only your health, but also your skin and even hair. This machine adds moisture to the air, moisturizing your dry eyes, hair, and skin.

Sleep.

Make sure to still catch some Z’s. Holiday parties and candy can definitely take a toll on your sleeping pattern, but try not to deprive yourself! Sleep in the winter helps skin replenish overnight and is a very necessary step in keeping your skin and body clean and healthy.

I am a strong believer that everyone needs to protect his or her skin at all times, but especially in the frigid winter months. By following some, if not all, of these 10 helpful tips on saving your skin, I promise that you will conquer the dry skin winter.