10 Reasons Why Tea and Beer Are The Same Drink

It’s all about preference.

5254
agoramedia

I promised a few people that I would write an article about tea this week. I thought of making a list of all the great things about tea, but I figured most people would already know about the health benefits and that it’s safe and legal for pretty much any age. Instead, I decided to compare it to another popular beverage: beer. You read that right.

1. They are both made from plants.

Most black, white, and green teas come from leaves. Herbal teas are made using herbs, and floral teas are made using… you guessed it— flowers. Beer is made using a plant called hops, which come in multiple flavors, including Amarillo, Cascade, and Fuggle. Beers can also be made using wheat.

2. They both have health benefits.

While tea definitely has a longer list, beer can be good for you, too. It is full of fiber and antioxidants. It can also possibly lower your risk for heart attack, stroke, or a heart disease. That only comes with drinking in moderation, of course.

3. They can both be enjoyed hot or cold.

Tea is definitely good hot or cold, but beer is best when it’s iced. Certain beers, such as Guinness, are required o be stored at a specific temperature to prevent the flavor from changing. There are even some European beers that are best when enjoyed at room temperature. As far as tea goes, it’s all in how long you steep it.

4. People put extras in them.

Tea can be great with cream and sugar, or either or. Sometimes, people put lime or orange slices on their beers to add extra flavor.

5. Both have their own time of day for drinking.

For tea, it’s the afternoon. For beer, it’s 5:00pm.

6. They come in many shades.

Tea can be black, green, white, pink, cream, and tons of other colors. Most of them are clear. Beer, on the other hand, ranges from the color of apple juice to darker than a coke. It can also be clear (filtered) or foggy (unfiltered).

7. They come in many flavors.

The different types of teas all have their own flavors. Black teas are usually the most bitter. Chai is always spicy. Passion is typically a tart, fruity flavor. Beers are no different. IPAs (Indian Pale Ale) are usually the most bitter. Stouts typically have a malty flavor, and Lagers are more crisp and refreshing.

8. Each has its own caffeine level or ABV level.

Most people know that black tea is the most caffeinated of all the teas, and herbal is one of the least. However, did you know that more than just calories can be measured in beer? Each type of beer has its own ABV (Alcohol By Volume) percentage. Some of the lighter beers, like the ones you’d find at a college party, are around the 3.5-5% range. Craft beers are usually higher, sometimes reaching up to 15%. If you’re going to drink a beer with 15% ABV, you might as well just do a shot of tequila.

9. Not everyone likes them.

Not everyone likes tea. Some only like sweet tea. Some only like green. In the same way, not everyone likes beer. Some might not like the lighter lagers. Some might not be able to handle a pale ale. It’s all about preference.

10. You can have tea snobs and beer snobs.

Just as you have people who don’t like tea or beer, you have people who like it too much. There might be someone who only drinks loose tea and refuses to drink anything from a bag. There are people who refuse to drink Belgian ales or English Brown ales. Again, this is all just preference.

There you have it. Tea is a lot like beer. I wouldn't recommend interchanging them, though. Just, you know, don't be stupid when you drink them.