Tell Tale Sings of a Toxic Friend

I'm sure we have all had a toxic friend at one point or another in our lives. However, because this person is our friend we may overlook the toxic signs in order to keep the friendship going. Here are some tell-tale signs of a toxic friend. *Disclaimer: this article is salty. Very salty.*

1. They lie.

Any lying at all is a sure-fire sign that they are a toxic friend, especially if they are your best friend. A friend should always be honest, even about the little things. They should be able to tell you straight-out about anything and everything, no bullshit included. Lying about small things means that they will also lie about big things.

2. They talk badly about other people.

OR in my case, they talked badly about every single friend they ever had, regardless if that person was a mutual friend or not. The toxic friend will also tell you other people's personal business, even if the information was supposed to be kept a secret. This person will go out of their way to say every negative thing in the book about other people, yet continue to be friends with them, post pictures with them, and go out with them on a regular basis. If the toxic friend can talk badly about other people to you, chances are they are also talking badly about you to other people.

3. They don't respect boundaries.

Lets say you tell a your friend to keep negative/vulgar comments off of your social media wall, or even just tell that friend that you aren't okay with certain things. The toxic friend will go out of their way to do those things that make you uncomfortable, and then get mad at you when you tell them that they are wrong for it.

4. They don't want to get to know your significant other.

It doesn't matter how many times you invite your friend out with your significant other,they will refuse to go and refuse to get to know them. You will make every attempt to include your friend in plans with your significant other, your significant other will tell you to invite your friend, meanwhile they won't even want to come. Their reasoning may be that they "don't feel comfortable in one on one situations with new people", yet they will go out and meet people from online dating sites, or even hang out with other friends' significant others. The toxic friend will then blame you when you "don't make time for them", meanwhile you have also tried to invite them to one-on-one plans with just them.

5. They will hang out in your neighborhood without inviting you.

And they will do it with mutual friends, and post pictures while in your area. You will go out of your way to make time to have plans with this person only for them to claim they are "busy", yet you will see them in your area out with other friends. This toxic friend will ensure that you will feel in the wrong for wanting to have plans, and make it your problem when you never see them because they don't invite you.

6. They will turn everything that you do into a competition.

"I applied for a job today!" Will turn into "Yeah, well I got offered that same exact position, and it is extremely competitive so you probably won't get it". This toxic friend will belittle you for choices like where you go to school, jobs, or even so far as anxiety (yeah, my toxic friend basically made it a competition as to who has more anxiety). This person will try and make you feel insignificant so that they can have all the power in the friendship, and that isn't okay.

7. They are there for you when things are bad, but not when things are good.

This toxic friend will be sure to be your "saving grace" when you are in a bad spot because it will make them look good, but will distance themselves from you when everything gets better. The reason why is because they no longer can say "they were there to make it better", and the spotlight won't be on them anymore for being a "good friend".

8. They only want things on their terms.

You have no input whatsoever with this friend, because it is always their way or no way. If they don't want to come over, you won't see them. If you want to talk things out over text yet they refuse to, you won't talk. If you give them an inch, they take a mile. Toxic friends will ensure that they are always in the position of power, and will not care about the other persons' feelings whatsoever.

So, these are just a few of the sings of a toxic friend. You are worth more than a friend who treats you badly.