Why I Choose To Be Single In College

Why I Choose To Be Single In College

Team single, anyone?
Vanessa
Vanessa
188

It's okay to be single, life goes on.

Often people think that being lonely means you're bound to be miserable but in reality being single is probably one of the best things you can be. Especially in college. Yes it would be really cute to find your future husband but as a college student it's really hard to manage all the responsibilities that are tied up with doing well in school. From personal experience I’ve never been the type of girl to have serious relationships or to go out on several dates each week. Don't get me wrong- it might work out for some people, but there's a high chance the relationship won't last. Being single means you have so much more opportunities to do whatever you wish as well as talk to anyone without having to worry about the other person. If you ask me, I’m much happier not having a steady boyfriend. I will never be able to understand why our society places such high expectations on young women to have relationships and to get married.

Although it's only my first year in college, I have absolutely no desire to become seriously involved with anyone; I want to enjoy every ounce of college. I have the rest of my life to have my fairytale moment, but for now it's just me. Choosing to stay single doesn’t mean that you’re a prude or that you’re not sexually attracted to anyone. In my opinion, choosing to stay single is the best decision. Let’s be honest, college life is extremely lonely and at any point you’re willing to risk it all and put yourself out there. As cliché as it may sound, I would rather wait for the right person to commit to instead of rushing into a serious relationship just because I'm lonely. I don't believe rushing into things because I don’t think it’s worth all the emotions, distractions, and hardships that a relationship consists of. I would rather stay single in college for a few reasons. One of those reasons being I don’t have to talk to my partner every day. Let’s face it, most often we are incapable of responding to any texts or calls in a timely manner. Secondly, I don’t have to worry about couple's fights or petty things that modern-day couples go through. I also don't have to worry about the mushy couple stuff. Last but not least, you might be wondering what some of the perks of staying single in college are. Well, for starters, endless sex. If you’re in a relationship you don’t have as much sexual freedom, which is a reason to stay single in itself. Another benefit is that you get to do whatever you want. Fall asleep on the couch in your not-so-cute underwear or binge watch episodes of "The Bachelor." You will never feel more liberated. Although this is my opinion on being single, we came to college to get a degree in whatever major we chose. My number one priority is to build a life for myself. I’m too busy focusing and working toward a degree than searching for the right guy. It’s always been important to me to make sure that I am steady in my career before I add a serious boyfriend into the equation.