So You Picked School Over Guys. So What? Who Cares?

A boy might not be there in the future but guess what will be? Your degree.

20

Stop stressing over who's dating who, and start worrying about school. From the time I was little, I was always told: "Your education is the only thing that can't be taken away from you." After hearing that, I decided to put school first and thanked myself later for it later on.

1. Your academic performance will thank you.

Now, whether or not you actually take the time to read this is up to you. Some people actually go on to say that their grades are the one thing that suffers during a relationship. So what happens if "said relationship" ends? Said person seems to hate themselves and add themselves to "List of People Hurt by that Relationship." Going into college with a relationship can either become a hassle or it can be the best thing that every happened to you. If you're one of those people that can look past that factor and still find time to manage passing grades, well, you go, girl (or guy)!

2. Is it really a relationship that you see in your future?

So I guess saying we all have friends with two different relationship styles might not be that much of a stretch. By the two different relationsship styles, I mean 1. the couple that's been together forever and haven't managed to break up over stupid things and 2. the couple that's been together forever but in intervals because it seems like twice a week they're un-friending, re-friending and changing profile pictures. If you or someone you would can relate to the first example, well give yourself (or that friend) a nice pat on the back because you just defied the seemingly new standard of college relationships.

3. You'll save money.

I don't know about you but I'll tell you straight up: I'm broke. I pretty much live off a paycheck for eight hours of pay once a week and receive it bi-weekly. Other than that, I pretty much live off the money my grandma gives me every month. I can barely afford gas and stuff for myself, let alone spend money on another person. Money that I get to buy things for myself comes from my parents—I'd never ask them to give me money to spend on a significant other! All I really know is that when I'm making tons of money, I'll be able to spoil whoever I'm with (guilt free of course)!

4. Enjoy being single while you're still young, and it's still fun.

Work hard and stay healthy. Get good grades and worry about finding a husband or wife later. Chances are somewhere down the road you'll find someone on the same path as yourself. You'll fall in love, get married and have a couple kids and you'll get that "happily ever after" that you've always sought after. For right now, don't let any commitments besides the one you made to yourself be the ones you focus your life on.

5. Less stress.

So you've all probably watched a Lifetime movie and either told yourself A. "OMG I'm gonna die alone, no one will ever love me." Or, B. "I need a relationship now. Seriously, just like that one." Or, Lately, C. "I will never date anyone I meet online. Can you say "crazy"? The point I'm trying to make is you'll probably never be in a relationship where you and you're significant other don't fight over something. Relationships aren't all kisses and cuddles and hand holding. Who wants to fight over an ignored text message? Who wants to stress because their hair and makeup isn't incredibly perfect? Who wants to spend hours crying over a fight that was totally pointless? What about the ones where you can't even remember why it started? Single stress is more fun and I think that everyone should have a chance to feel what it's like to not know who to text back first or who to hangout with for the night.

6. Realizing it's the right person, when you meet the right person.

When you finally do graduate and settle yourself into the world, you'll have a pretty good idea as to what it takes to manage something. These will be concepts that you've learned from earning a degree that you will be able to put towards your love life. While your friends are getting married—and maybe even divorced in their 20's—you'll just be starting out and people will be drawn to you for the success and determination that you revolve your life around.

7. Learning more about yourself.

College is supposed to be the best four years of your life, right? Why not spend them focusing on you and finding out what makes you happy, sad, motivated and determined?

8. More time to focus on your career.

Being single lets you focus on building a name in the career that you have chosen for yourself. When you're single, you can work longer and later and not have anyone to answer to or anyone to cancel plans with. Eventually, when you do decide to settle down, you'll be able to put all the money you made while being single to use and not stress over low funds.

9. Flirting is fun.

So...you're walking across campus and you spot a major hottie. Who are they? Why haven't I seen them before? Skip to an hour or two seeing said person again but this time, said hottie stops and says something. Isn't it just as fun flirting with this person as it is to be in a relationship? The expectations for you two aren't there and the only thing the other person is wondering about is if they'll get a text back or not. No drama, no arguments...just fun.

10. When everything else seems to be falling apart, just remember: you're old just beginning.

Sure, being single in college can suck and make you question your choice but you've got to remember how happy you'll be when you finally do get what all those seemingly adorable, Tumblr-worthy couples on your campus have. You're in college, you're just beginning your story; focus on you and being the best version of yourself that you can be. That lucky person will come around; but don't force it.