Why I'm Team Captain America

Why I'm Team Captain America

Sorry, Tony. It's just not working out.

1162
Why I'm Team Captain America
Marvel

Disclaimer: This article is littered with spoilers for Captain America: Civil War. Proceed with caution.

In Captain America: The First Avenger, we saw Steve Rogers do everything he could to save his best friend, James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes, from the Nazi soldiers. In Captain America: Winter Soldier, we saw Steve do everything he could to save Bucky from Hydra. With these plots in hindsight, it’s really no surprise Steve continued to do everything in his power to save Bucky, this time from his own team.

For those who haven’t seen Captain America: Civil War (and are totally fine with spoilers), the movie splits the Avengers into two different teams: Captain America and Iron Man. Captain’s team refuses to sign a document that puts the Avengers under United Nations' control so they will only be used if and when the U.N. feels necessary. Iron Man’s team signs the documents and, in doing so, is told to capture Bucky because of all the lives he took while under Hydra’s control, dead or alive. Steve isn’t going to let Bucky die for something he didn’t willingly do, thus the actual battle begins and we're told to pick a side.

I’m Team Cap. Here’s why

In the first Captain America movie, Steve is transformed from a tiny soldier into Captain America. After he saves Bucky and the other prisoners of war, he and Bucky are stuck in a burning building that is bound to collapse. Bucky makes it across a guardrail to the side with an exit, but the rail collapses and Steve is stuck on the opposite side. Steve shouts, “Just go! Get out of here!” hoping Bucky will make it out alive. Bucky replies with, “No, not without you!” Bucky and Steve’s relationship is too strong to let it die. There’s no reason people should be going after Bucky. He’s dangerous when he’s under Hydra’s control but he’s harmless when he’s not being attacked. Steve knows this and he’s not going to give up that easily.

While I do think having a document to keep the Avengers under control is a generally good idea, it also keeps them from doing the amount of good they have been. As my brother pointed out, their actions may have led to the death of thousands of people, but they saved millions in the process. The Accords gave the United Nations complete control over when the Avengers can get involved in a dangerous situation. Judging by the Secretary of State’s comments when the Accords are introduced, they wouldn’t have sent the team to any of the places where they’ve caused destruction while ultimately saving lives. Had they not gone on these missions, even more people could and most likely would have died.

Sam Wilson’s commitment to Cap is astounding. Sam served in the military so he may feel a sort of brotherhood with Steve, but he’s also willing to put everything on the line for him. Sam knows if he tries to save Bucky with Steve, the government – and Team Iron Man – is going to be after him. Even though he makes it very evident that he hates Bucky (literally saying, “I hate you”), he still knows it’s right to save him. Bucky didn’t commit those crimes, Hydra did.

When the ultimate Iron Man/Captain America fight goes down, Sam, Clint, Scott and Wanda admit the only way Bucky and Steve can get out is if the rest of them get caught and brought into government custody. They’re all dedicated to saving someone whose life has been destroyed by Hydra. They know Bucky’s a good guy in not-so-good situations and they’re not going to let the consequences prevent them from keeping Bucky alive.

Clint was supposed to be retired. Like Sam, he knew what would happen if he chose to support Cap but he believed in his stance. Scott didn’t really know what was happening but his little fangirl moment when he first met Cap pretty much sums up why he was okay with it. Wanda seemed fine with the Accords, but she wanted to help Steve save Bucky. That’s the main thing Team Cap stands for: saving Bucky. And if there’s anything you should know about me, it’s that I love Bucky Barnes - almost as much as Steve Rogers does.

Overall, the main reason I’m Team Cap is because of the commitment and friendship on their team. Sure, Team Iron Man has some awesome heroes. Iron Man is a solid leader, I love Black Widow, the revamped Spiderman is hilarious and adorable, Vision’s pretty rad in general, Black Panther is a great addition (with his own movie coming in 2018) and Rhodes is just as dedicated to Tony as Sam is to Steve. However, the reason this entire movie happens is because Steve wants to save his best friend with more of his friends' help. That’s why I’m #TeamCap.