Teachers Fail Their Students In Preparing For Life

Teachers are suppose to prepare students for the real world, but they fail teaching us skills needed in everyday life.

63

We all remember the five necessary subjects we all had to take in grade school and high school, math, science, English, reading, and social studies. However, do we use quadratic formulas in our everyday life? I don't think so, but we do use basic subjecting and adding. We are told to pay attention in class because the information will prepare us for the future.

Teachers, you are wrong! Well, you are a little wrong, because instead of teaching me how to tell angles of a circle, you should have taught me how to invest, how to vote, how to tell the difference in political parties, how to... This list can continue and it is for this reason why teachers do fail to prepare students for the future.

1. How to file my taxes.

How do I know I am doing it right. The form does give some hints and what number goes where, but let's be real, the IRS scares me. I don't want to find out that I owe thousands of dollars or find out I shortened myself and could have had a larger refund check. What receipts am I suppose to save?

2. How to apply and pay off a loan

You mean I have to pay twice as much than I borrowed. It is going to take me 20 years to pay for all of this. What did I sign up for? I didn't ask for an additionally $4,000 to my loan? What is interest?

3. How to do basic home repairs

If you haven't done so, make sure you buy a plunger, but also make sure you know how to use it. You may also want to think about buying a small tool set with screwdrivers and pliers Remember: "righty tighty, lefty loosey".

4. How do buy a car

The reaction when the car salesman calls you "little lady". Women, you may want to have a male counterpart go with you to purchase your first car, because sales representatives will often make you pay an average of $1200 more. Before going to the dealership make sure you do research and compare the price to similar cars at other dealers. A good resource may be Kelly Blue Book or just do a quick google search. You have a smartphone, use it.

5. How to change a flat tire

Hopefully, you have Triple A and you can just call them to fix it for you, but what happens when your cell phone died and you are stranded on the road. Maybe, some will come to your rescue, but it would probably just be better if you just change the tire yourself.

6. How to vote

You can't just show up at the polling place of you township or precinct on voting day. You have to register in advance to be eligible to vote . However, some states do allow same day registration, but not the lines are long and you need to provide documentation. You can now apply online to vote. Just make sure you know your state laws.

7. How to cook healthy meals

Ramen should not count as a meal, it is jam packed with unneeded sodium. You can cook healthy meals in a matter of minute, but first you must understand what can go in an oven or microwave and what cannot. Metal doesn't go in the microwave. Pinterest has a lot of good, healthy, and quick meals for those that aren't experts in the kitchen.

8. How to balance a checkbook

The use of a checkbook is becoming outdated, as online banking and debt and credit cards take over. Nevertheless, you must still keep track of the money that is coming in and money coming out, because if you don't you will have no money to spend and have to make the dread phone call or text to your parents for money.

9. How to budget

You need to learn to budget but have a realistic budget. We are all pretty delusional about how much things cost and how we allocate our money. A good website is jumpstart.org to help you make a realistic budget, but you are the one that has to stick with it and follow through.

10. The value of self-love and self-care

Hey, you are strong and you can accomplish anything. Take care of yourself and be consciousness as to who you surrender yourself with. It is okay to take a mental health day and treat yourself, because you have worked hard and deserve it. Life is not easy, but you can do it.

Teachers, you have taught us so much to help prepare us for college and future educational class, but in terms of preparing students for the real world, you need to do a little bit better.