Teachers Deserve More Credit

Teachers Deserve More Credit

"Teaching is the profession that teaches all of the other professions"

454
Teachers Deserve More Credit
US News

I have a great appreciation for teachers. I have several family members who are teachers, and I am currently studying to be an educator, so I know a lot about the behind the scenes in the career. Let me tell you, teachers do not get enough credit and you have no idea how much work they do. I am here to explain why teaching is one of the most amazing, unappreciated careers.

First of all, teachers work several hours. Many people are jealous that teachers do not have to work as long as a usual job. It appears that way because they do have shorter days, vacations, and summers off. However, teachers spend hours and hours before and after the students leave correcting papers, writing reports, emailing staff or parents, and prepping for future lessons. In the summer, they still need to be preparing for the upcoming year. My mom will spend hours and hours outside of work in order keep up. She has more “homework” than I do! When I student taught and had a teacher mentor, she told me she worked an extra hour or two every day after the school day and another couple hours on the weekend. In addition, teachers take courses to improve their education or to raise their pay. So whereas most jobs end as soon as you leave work, teaching is a nonstop job.

Teachers have a huge responsibility of helping students grow and learn, not just academically, but socially, emotionally, and even physically. Teachers need to make sure that students understand the material taught in class, make sure the students cooperate with their peers, teach them communication skills, and teach them how to grow their confidence in learning; the list is endless! Even though it may not always seem like it, good teachers have a main goal of helping their students. A good teacher can make a huge difference in a student’s life by assisting their development.

Additionally, teachers work with a diverse group of students. There are students coming from all different backgrounds and home lives. Sometimes teachers need to help children with disabilities or behavioral issues. Sometimes teachers are the only supportive or trustworthy adults in a child’s lives. They have to be a huge support for each and every student despite their background. As a student teacher, I found out a lot about how teachers adapt to different situations and adapt to working with different types of students.

Teaching is unfortunately one of the lower paid careers in America, especially at the beginning of a career. Teachers do so much for their students with such little pay or appreciation in return. In addition, teachers get little budget to buy supplies and decorations to enhance their classroom’s environment and learning. Usually, teachers end up paying out of pocket for these extra little things that make their classroom an even better place for their students.

I could go on and on about the hard work of teachers. More people need to recognize teachers for what they do. They are more rewarded and passionate about the kids than they are about a paycheck or recognition. They are empathetic, hardworking, supportive, creative, loving people. They are amazing, and I give so much props to them.