Labels That Burn Out The Light in Students:

Teachers so often put labels on student that begin to create the student they label them to be.

351

Labels That Burn Out the Light in Children.

By Chandler Hicks

Do you see that kid over there in the corner? The one that is always talking during circle time. Yes, him. What about that little girl, the one that follows you all over the room and never stops talking and gets in your way when your trying to put together your last minute lesson plans because you did not want to miss the next episode of the bachelor, so you went home early . How about that boy right there, the one that cries about every little thing that does not go his way. And that little girl over there sitting alone in a desk chair because you excused her from the carpet because she would not pay attention to your book you were reading to the class….

What about these students.

So often I see teachers talking to other teachers about how bad their students are. About how they " cannot wait until friday." Teachers that watch the clock hourly hoping the next time she looks the time will jump from 8:00 to 3:00 and the bell will ring so they can go home and not have to deal with all these "annoying" children. So often I hear school administrators talking with other administrators about how a student has been in their office all week long and they know they will be making their grand appearance in their office again before the end of the week. Placing bets that this will happen. To these teachers and these administrators. STOP. Stop labeling these students for how they act. Annoying, bad, troublemaker, loud, obnoxious, noisey. Stop putting these labels on your students. Students pay attention to how you feel about them and your body language and emotions toward them. When you often place labels on them for how you feel about they way they act they begin to transform into that child you label them to be. Stop labeling them. A child often spends more time in your classroom than what they do in their own home. You are the first person they encounter every morning, you are the last person who can impact them before they walk out the big glass doors into a world known for cruel and harsh behavior. A world where lying is the newest form of communication, where bullying is becoming accepted and overlooked. They are walking into a world that is out to get them.

Teachers…

That student, the one in the corner, the one you labeled as "always talking." His mother left when he was a baby, his closest family members he has never met and his father is deaf. Let him get his chance to interact with his friends, his peers, let him interact with you. You may be the only social interaction he has everyday.

Teachers…

That student, the little girl that follows you around the room everyday, the one you label as being obnoxious and annoying. She goes home every night to both parents who are consumed in their phones and their social media status that they forget to pay attention to her. They forget to ask her how her day was or what she learned at school today. She looks to you for guidance, for acceptance and most importantly she looks to you for love and attention. Something she does not receive at home.

Teachers…

That little boy in your room, the one you labeled as spoiled and sensitive, because they are always upset or angry when they don't receive the outcome that they wanted or felt they deserved. That child goes home at night and feels no self confidence because when they get home they are reminded by members of their family that they are poor, they are worthless, they are lower than all over people in society today. Give them some positive. Let them feel that they are worthy of something. Show them they are powerful enough to change the world.

Teachers…

That one young girl you removed from the carpet in your room because she could not focus on your book you were trying to read… suffers from ADD and ADHD and her family and her household is not stable enough for parents to recognize her calling for help and doesn't make time to take her to the doctor and look for possible options for help. Do your own research. Try your own theories, but please do not remove her because of something that she cannot control.

Administrators…

You have the hardest job of anyone, making sure your school is run effectively, making sure that each grade level, each teacher is equipped with what they need. DO NOT LABEL STUDENTS. You are the highest role model in the building because you have the authority to be. Your students look to you above all else for guidance in the person that they want to become. Show them honesty, show them truthfulness, show them confidence, show them guidance, above all else show them love. For you may be the only person that can show them this everyday that they may one day find it in their own hearts to spread to others.

Be the teacher that gives affirmations.

"Johnny you had a difficult time today, but thats okay we all do. We will work together tomorrow, you and me and we will make it a great day."

"Alexa, I noticed you came into class with an upset face, how about we got to the hall and talk about it and restart our day on a better note?"

"Blake you look tired, can I get you a cup of water to keep at your desk to try and help keep you awake?" If that doesn't work, maybe we can find a little bit of time this morning to take a quick nap in the nurse's office then I can help you out on what you missed during recess time."

Be that steady ground those students need in their life, be that light that forever shines in their hearts. That light they can spread to others when you can no longer control how their days went.

Be that heart. Be that soul. Be that teacher.