Taylor's Right, 'Shade Never Made Anybody Less Gay'

Taylor's Right, "Shade Never Made Anybody Less Gay"

Get it, Taylor.

248

Let me start this article the way I start all of my opinion pieces: I don't care what you believe.

I'm not here to convince you to change your mind or "question" your religious beliefs. I'm not here to tell you what is right or wrong. I'm just here to give you perspective. If you already have that, then, by all means, stop reading.

First of all, I grew up in a Christian family. I still attend church regularly, work with my mom at the church, and volunteer for Christian organizations. I was lucky that though I grew up in this family, my parents were very open to others. I had multiple friends growing up who came out as gay or bi-sexual. My parents knew them and loved them just as much as they loved my other friends. So I really wasn't aware of the negativity and hostility toward LGBTQ+ people until I came to college.

Now, with Pride Month just ending, I've heard people say they are "tired" of hearing about LGBTQ+ rights, tired of seeing rainbow flags and parades. My question is...don't you have something better to do other than complain about something that has no effect on you?

And, oh, Taylor... did you second that question.

Taylor Swift's new music video "You Need To Calm Down" is a masterpiece of pride, allies, and equality. For those who haven't seen it yet, please watch, the entire video takes place in a multi-colored world sprinkled with some of the world's hottest LGBTQ+ celebrities. These celebrities include (but are not limited to) Ellen Degeneres, the Fab Five from "Queer Eye," Hannah Hart, and Katy Perry.

The point of the video is clear from the very beginning. It is a statement about negativity -- in this case toward the LGBTQ+ community. All the residents of the small, yet colorful and clean trailer park depicted in the video are dressed to the nines, sipping martinis, and relaxing in the sun. Meanwhile, a group of protesters (all old white men I should add) all stand around with signs against gay marriage. The image here is clear — even without words — these protestors put so much time and effort into attacking someone, but as Taylor so lovely points out, "Shade never made anybody less gay."

Along with that sentiment, here are some more inspirational lines from Taylor's new song:

"And I ain't tryna mess with your self-expression, but I've learned a lesson that stressin' and obsessin' bout somebody else is no fun."

"Sunshine on the street at the parade. But you would rather be in the dark ages."

"Makin' that sign must've took all night."

"You just need to take several seats and then try to restore the peace and control your urges to scream about all the people you hate."

I know these are just song lyrics and maybe you are anti-same-sex marriage, but you have to admit Taylor has a point. Why spend so much time breaking others down. Why put negativity out into the world while a group of people is just trying to enjoy their lives.

This isn't a matter of religious belief, it's a matter of equality and rights.

Taylor started a petition for the Equality Act. Please sign if you support the LGBTQ+ community.