Taylor Swift at 2am

7 Taylor Swift Lyrics That Let You Know 2 AM Is Her Favorite Time

2 am is a busy time for T-Swift.

3150

Throughout Taylor Swift's songs, she likes to mention specific times. A few times it was midnight, once it's 4 am, but it's usually 2 am. For some reason, she seems to really like that time. She's either feeling sad, adventurous, angry or infatuated. Avid Taylor Swift fans will have noticed her penchant for 2 am. For those of you who haven't, allow me to enlighten you.

1. Mary’s Song (Oh My, My, My)

From her debut album, this song tells the story of two kids "growing up and falling in love." When they hit their teenage years, things started to get serious.

The lyrics: Take me back to the creek beds we turned up. 2 am riding in your truck. And all I need is you next to me.

This song isn't about something that actually happened to Taylor Swift. She wrote it in honor of the old couple that lived next door. She started thinking about what it would have been like if they grew up together. In that case, why would she choose 2 am? Why not midnight or just the middle of the night? Regardless of her reasoning, this marks the start of her love of 2 am.

2. Breathe

The next mention of 2 am doesn't show up until her second album, and the situation is a lot sadder. Instead of driving around with her boyfriend, she's missing her friend.

The lyrics: It's 2 am, feeling like I just lost a friend. Hope you know it's not easy, easy for me. It's 2 am, feeling like I just lost a friend. Hope you know this ain't easy, easy for me.

This song is about the inevitable end of a friendship. Swift is up at 2 am, probably thinking about what went wrong and wishing she could fix it. It makes sense that she would choose a time when most people are asleep, in order to show that the pain of the loss is keeping her awake.

3. The Way I Loved You

This song is also on the Fearless album with Breathe. Swift is in a happy, healthy relationship, but she is reminiscing about being in a much less stable relationship with a guy who made her act insane.

The lyrics: But I miss screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain. And it's 2 am and I'm cursing your name. You're so in love that you act insane. And that's the way I loved you.

Clearly, this was a frustrating relationship for Swift. Sure, she got some romantic kisses, but she also had to deal with a lot of fighting. This guy got under her skin so much that she was up at 2 am, cursing him for making her lose sleep.

4. Mine

Now we're on the third album, Speak Now. Full disclosure, this song doesn't reference 2 am on the dot. It skips ahead a half hour to a lovers' spat.

The lyrics: And I remember that fight, 2:30 am, as everything was slipping right out of our hands. I ran out, crying, and you followed me out into the street.

Why 2:30 and not 2? Probably because that's when it happened. Things may have been fine at 2 am. After all, she has a drawer at his place. Another possibility is that she knew the fight happened around two but needed another syllable. However, she could have said "around 2 am" or "2 o'clock." Nevertheless, this still fits the pattern.

5. Enchanted

Taylor Swift finds herself once again infatuated. This time, it's with Adam Young of Owl City— yes, that's confirmed. According to the song, they met at a party. They bantered for a while, and he left her "wonderstruck, blushing all the way home."

The lyrics: The lingering question kept me up. 2 am, who do you love? I wonder till I'm wide awake.

There's no confusion here. She admits that wondering whether or not he likes her is keeping her up. The only question is was it actually 2 am or was she reverting to her go-to time?

6. Last Kiss

This is the last mention of 2 am on Speak Now. In fact, it's not quite 2 am. Still, I include it because it fits the pattern.

The lyrics: I still remember the look on your face, lit through the darkness at 1:58. The words that you whispered for just us to know. You told me you loved me, so why did you go away?

1:58 is only two minutes before two. Why so specific? Take a look at the first three words: "I still remember." This moment is etched in her memory. Maybe she glanced at the clock right before he whispered, "I love you." Him leaving would certainly imprint the memory even more. After all, who says "I love you" and then leaves? Too many people.

7. I Wish You Would

This song is from 1989, and it is the last mention of 2 am to date. It actually mentions 2am throughout the song, which just goes to show how important that time is to Taylor Swift.

The lyrics: It's 2 am in my room. Headlights pass the windowpane, I think of you...

It's 2 am in your car, windows down, you pass my street, the memories start...

2 am, here we are. See your face, hear my voice in the dark

Whoever this song is about, *cough* Harry Styles *cough* is driving past Taylor Swift's house at 2 am. He sees her house and remembers their relationship. She sees headlights and thinks of him. Then they end up together at 2 am. They were just missing each other too much to stay away. 2 am is a pivotal time here.

2 am has clearly been a special time to Taylor Swift over the years. Whether positive or negative, there's no doubt those early morning experiences are engraved in her mind. While she has mentioned other times in her songs, 2 am is most prevalent. There are a few mentions of midnight, but a lack of specificity proves it is not as important to her. She likes to be detailed in her songwriting, frequently naming people, places, months and times. This no doubt allows her to paint a vivid picture in the mind of the listener that helps them to connect with her music on a deeper level. Next time you're up at 2 am, play some Taylor Swift.