Target's New Sensory-Friendly Clothing Line: Affordable and Yet Priceless

Finding wearable clothing is something that a lot of people take for granted. But not everyone can be so lucky.

89
Mike Kalasnik

When I got the news that Target had started selling their first line of "sensory-friendly" clothing, I could literally feel tears welling up in my eyes as my heart caught in my throat. I was just so happy.

There was a certain beauty in seeing a well-known store putting the needs of children with sensory processing challenges out in the open with a solution at hand. There was also a certain comfort in this, as someone who has dealt with sensory processing challenges since before she could remember. It was as if Target's brand Cat & Jack (the clothing brand that created these sensory-friendly clothes) was saying, "I acknowledge your struggles, and I'm here for you."

The clothing line was inspired by 7-year-old Elinor, the daughter of one of the creators of the line. Elinor is on the autism spectrum, and her mother Stacey had noticed (like many parents) the unique challenges that an autistic child can be faced with--including their child having difficulties with wearing most clothing.

However, though the prevalence of sensory processing disorder (SPD) is much higher in autistic individuals, a person can deal with sensory processing issues even if they do not have autism. This means that this clothing line could help as many as 1 in 20 struggling children, based on current statistics for SPD.

I can certainly attest to the fact that this clothing line will help many children with SPD. I remember that, in preschool, I would only wear leggings. No jeans for this girl; I remember hating their texture and feeling uncomfortable and out of sorts out when I would try them on. I think my parents caught on pretty quickly, because in all my early home videos I'm wearing some kind of leggings, up until the beginning of my elementary school years (they were against the dress code in that school).

Even now, I find that most jeans make me feel both physically uncomfortable and emotionally distressed. I'll try on a pair of jeans that aren't just-right, and I'll feel my breath getting tight and coming out in short puffs as I struggle to rip them off myself as soon as the scratchy, constricting fabric's sensation hits. Let's just say I'm more of a jeggings girl.

It's not that this kind of clothing from Cat & Jack will solve all of a sensory-challenged child's problems. But, it will make their life and their parents' lives easier. When it comes to neurological and psychological problems, sometimes that's the best one can hope for, for a time; not for an end-everything cure, but for a way to manage the problem better in order to achieve a greater quality of life. Meghan Roman, a Target spokeswoman, said it best: "We set out to introduce a limited selection of sensory-friendly kids’ clothing within Cat & Jack that’s affordable and offers kids stylish options to feel comfortable and confident to take on their day." The clothing is affordable; the confidence, priceless.

Next up on the company's agenda? Clothing for children living with various other disabilities. This would mean specially-designed clothing with things like zippers, side-openings, or openings in the back in order to make dressing easier for the child and their family.

An ease of finding clothing is something that a lot of people take for granted. I'm truly glad that Target is making the effort to make it an easier process for some of the people that struggle with it the most.