If I Could Talk To The Turner Family

If I Could Talk To The Turner Family

4
If I Could Talk To The Turner Family

Unfortunately, due to Brock Turner and his all-too-outspoken family, this statement needs to be clearly stated: there is a difference between the pain of discipline and the pain of assault.

With the pain of discipline comes anger. Some channel their anger inwardly, regretting doing or saying what they are being punished for. Others channel their anger outwardly, blaming others for not seeing eye-to-eye with them; they are usually those who do not see that they did anything wrong.

The pain of discipline, no matter which way it is channeled, does not begin to compare to the pain of assault. That is something I thought I would never have to say. However, it seems to be necessary.

The pain of sexual assault starts with the immediate effects, usually physical. These effects are bruising, bleeding and soreness. The bruises may vanish, but the hurt does not. The long-term effects of sexual assault include lack of trust, anger and blame, shock, numbness, loss of control, disorientation, helplessness, sense of vulnerability, fear, self-blame, doubt, and guilt. All of these emotions easily make a case of post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and dissociation.

So, there you have it, Turner family. Brock's "20 minutes of action," as Daddy stated it, simply made him a victim of discipline. And, while you were dipping in your bank accounts for money to sway the judges, the innocent girl he left behind a dumpster was beginning to experience all of the aforementioned effects from his "20 minutes of action."

Living in jail as a white, privileged, college boy, and a rapist? Yeah, that is scary; I will give it to the parents. It will not be a safe place where Mom and Dad can protect him. And doing that for 14 years? All because of "20 minutes"? I understand where that pain would come from.

But, that is what happens in America when someone is found guilty of rape, or at least it is for every other American citizen.

Do you know where that innocent victim will live for the rest of her life? Behind that dumpster. The dumpster that was dirty, unsanitary, and unsafe, where no one could protect her.

Forgive me if I cannot sympathize with your son's lack of steak intake. Forgive me if I cannot sympathize with the lack of decorations hanging on your walls inside your home. Forgive me if America can deal with the lack of a gold medal coming at the hands of a rapist.

While you felt the heartbreak of discipline, Brock's victim, and her family felt the agony of assault. In her powerful letter, she stated that she sleeps with a light on, being afraid of the dark. She had to quit her job because she could not sleep at night and could not focus during the day. She became depressed. She blamed herself and apologized for a monster's actions, something we have yet to see Brock do. She said, "you took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice..." Her rapist sent her into a downward spiral that she will try to claw her way out of for the rest of her life.

And for her family, she said that her mother physically held her up while she was explaining what happened. She said her sister cries and apologizes to her every day for bringing her to the party that night. In her letter, the victim proves that her and her family are more apologetic than you and yours. That is disgusting. However, they show more strength at the hands of adversity.

Brock is the victim here. Brock is the victim because this girl went out to a party with her sister. I really hope one day you realize how absolutely ridiculous and insulting that sounds. I pray the women in your family understand how awful this is, and I pray that one day they speak out against the morals that flow in that bloodstream.

The only satisfaction we can get from this entire enlightenment of our flawed justice system is that you are tainting the Brock Turner name more than the proper sentence ever could have. His name on a sex offenders list would be too simple as it would not fully display just how awful the "20 minutes" was.

So, thank you for showing future employers, colleagues, friends, and potential significant others your true self better than that list ever could.

For more on the victim's letter: