Tales From A Camp Obsessed Adult

Tales From A Camp Obsessed Adult

Stories from an adult who can't stop thinking about summer camp.

140
Tales From A Camp Obsessed Adult
Jimbosclub.com

Once upon a time, on a sunny day in late June, a girl entered the gates at summer camp for the first time, and her life was forever changed. As each summer went by, the experiences got better and better as she formed friendships and memories that would last a lifetime. Now, as an adult, the girl can only recall the very best memories created at her summer home. Here are tales from this camp-loving girl:

1. I find myself connecting everything to camp.

I have come to realize that all things camp constantly consumes my mind. No matter where I am or what I am doing, I am able to find a connection to camp. That thunder storm that just passed? It reminded me of rainy day schedules in camp and being stuck in my bunk with my friends playing jacks, while we sat in our Crazy Creek chairs. What about that song that just played on the radio? It took me back in time to one of my early days in camp when I danced to that song with my bunkmates during the camp talent show. Camp has consumed all my thoughts, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

2. My camp friends are the best friends.

My camp friends are my very best friends in the world. They have seen me at my best, and they have seen me at my worst - from the very beginning of our awkward stages to the very end. We all share a special bond that can not be duplicated. There is something about living in tight quarters with ten of your best friends for eight weeks at a time that really creates such a strong connection and friendship between girls.

No matter how much time has passed, whenever we see each other, it is like we have never left each other's side. We are able to be our crazy selves around each other without any judgements. We tell each other everything, knowing that we can trust each other more than anything.

3. Camp songs are the best songs.

No statement could possibly be more true for any camp girl. Any song that could possibly have to do with camp makes me feel bitter sweet, as I am happy listening to these songs, but also overcome by a sense of nostalgia as I think about how much I miss camp. To me, a camp song consists of every talent show dance song, any song that became our bunk anthem, or simply any other song that I listened to with my camp friends

And don't even get me started on "camp versions" of songs. I find myself singing the words to songs written by my camp friends more than the actual words. To be honest, I think I forgot the real words to "Butterfly Fly Away" from the Hannah Montana Movie, as the only words I can remember are the ones we wrote for our sing my last summer at camp.

There are also typical camp songs that girls at any camp claim are their "camp song." Does "100 Years," by Five for Fighting or Tyrone Wells' "Time of Our Lives" ring a bell to anyone? Yup, I bet they were your "camp songs," too.

4. I miss camp so much.

I did not think it was possible to miss a place as much as I miss camp. I truly felt heartbroken after my last summer ended. Anyone who did not go to camp does not understand how it is possible to miss a place so much, but it truly is a camp thing.

I can't wait for the day that I can go back to camp. But, until then, I am stuck here, constantly thinking about my favorite place in the world and reminiscing on the best times of my life.

Thank you, camp, for not just being a place for me to spend my summers, but for being a place I can call home and for allowing me to create the most amazing memories a girl could possibly have.