Why Taking Time Off Before Starting College Is OK

People tend to think that going straight into college after graduating is the best decision, but that 's not alway the case.

9
Google

When I graduated in 2014, my plan wasn't to go straight into college immediately. I always struggled with school and my family pressured me heavily to be the "ideal" student. In my mind, all I wanted to do was figure out what truly made me happy. Not a lot of people really understood that. I didn't feel the need to rush into something I wasn't mentally, physically, or financially prepared for.

Being 18, it really is hard to decide exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life. Now money is on the line. Switching you major later on wastes money and the you'll never get that time back that you spent studying for some classes. Towards the end of high shcool, I wanted to major in business and open up a restaurant. When I was younger than that, I wanted to be a lawyer. I found my passion with animals once working at an animal hospital and knew that being a veterinarian was my calling.

My family can be very judgmental with certain things. I would be afraid to talk about what I was doing with my life and what I was planning on accomplishing. I knew one wrong word would set them off on a long discussion I didn't want to be apart of. I really knew what I was doing and that was all that mattered.

When I took the time off, I found who I really was. You never discover yourself in high school; you discover yourself once you're on your own figuring out the next step in life. With that being said, taking the needed break from school really made me find my true calling. When I was ready for college, I managed to completely dedicate my life to my studies and have gotten grades higher than ever before. Taking that time off made me fully committed.

When I was just barley 17 years old, I started working at a pet store. After a year, I moved on to work at an animal hospital with such great doctors who inspired me. I gained so much knowledge being in animal medicine and it will only continue to grow. Being around animals made me happy. I genuinely enjoyed working with them, and I can't wait to one day get my doctorates in veterinary medicine.

If I didn't take time after high school, I would have already changed my major multiple times and probably would never have found my true passion. Considering how I pay for college all by myself, I am proud I put complete thought into my studies, and future. Rushing into something would have been the biggest regret I could possibly have in life.

I am OK with my decision, and couldn't be happier. I have never been this good of a student in my life and I know that my goals are the reason why. Knowing how I graduate in two years and how soon after that I will be off to vet school fills my body with joy. I study so hard every day to achieve what I truly want to be. Graduating later than anticipated isn't a big deal at all. All it says is that a little more thinking and a little more work needed to be done before I work a career that I love.