Dear Readers, Stop Taking Odyssey So Seriously

We are merely a platform for college students to express themselves.

30

Odyssey is a lovely community for (mainly) college students to write. Through our writing, we tell stories, present our opinions, stay up to date on popular culture, write creatively, and more. You name it. A lot of times, the national Facebook page will share articles that are extremely controversial, which leads to comments such as "Unfollowing Odyssey because of this stupid article," or "Ok, I'm done. Bye Odyssey."

To these people, I say: stop taking Odyssey so seriously. We are not a news outlet and we are not writing for Odyssey as a career. Odyssey is accepting of all opinions. If you don't like it, you don't have to read the articles you don't agree with. You don't have to follow Odyssey, but I feel as though some people take Odyssey a bit too seriously. A lot of the people in my Odyssey community (West Chester University) offered their stance on the matter as well.

1. Magen

"The only reputation Odyssey cares about is the one that proves we can write whatever we want, and the one that proves they get views. Odyssey doesn't have an opinion, it's a platform."

"We are lucky to be associated with a relatively non-political, non-biased publisher. It's not like Fox News or CNN where there is a clear bias. We are all allowed to say whatever we feel and still be published. That's the real purpose of the press."

2. Jacqui

"I actually like how Odyssey stays politically neutral. They share two opinions when most news websites promote the right or the left. I'm a centrist so I love seeing two side's opinions and forming my own based on the arguments. Media is so far left or right these days, I think it's important to give everyone a voice."

3. Alex

"I just worry that, as writers, we understand that our platform is meant to serve any and all opinions. But, as readers, I hope their opinions about Odyssey doesn't shift to thinking they're promoting certain things when, in reality, they're just sharing work."

4. Marissa

"The people who react poorly [to articles] really need to get over themselves. If they (the readers) are going to bag the whole platform because one article doesn't agree with their beliefs, then that's kind of petty."

Some advice for the next time you see an Odyssey article that you disagree with: remember that Odyssey is a platform that allows all opinions, no matter if they match with yours. Negative articles are shared just as much as positive articles, opposing opinions are shared equally, as well. If you don't like an article, you don't have to read it! Of course, you have every right to express your opinion in the comments section, but getting angry with a writing platform that does not have a bias is ridiculous. I, personally, love writing for Odyssey because I know that my stories and my opinions are just as important as those with different stories and opinions.