Taking a step back

To Take A Step Back For Your Sake Is Ok

Health should come before passion, even if doing so may be a bit hard.

120
To Take A Step Back For Your Sake Is Ok
https://unsplash.com/photos/_g1WdcKcV3w

In the past year of my life, I've discovered a lot about myself. I've learned that I can take the pain of being abused and come out at the point of almost forgiving the man, even though I can tell you he has some major issues. So do I though. I will never be able to fully move on from the event or forget it, but I will be able to grow because of it.

I've learned that mental illness is a hard battle, but there are people waiting to help. There are therapists and doctors, but there are also loved ones who are ready to help fight the pain that swallows the mind. A combination of both forces is often necessary to create the proper support team. It is important to realize you are not alone, but, for your sake and everyone else's, you cannot give up on yourself. If you know a single person, at the very least, who would be devastated by the loss of you, fight for them until you can fight for yourself. No, suicide is not selfish and I'm not trying to support that idea. I've been there, it's a chance to have relief after a great deal of darkness. But, sometimes focusing on someone else's care for you can keep you going until you care for your own life too.

If facing a hard time, it's okay to take a break. It's okay that this will be my last article on this website. It is okay that I'm taking this chance to focus even more on letting myself live happily and be okay. I've fought hard for that goal my entire lifetime, especially this past year, and I'm not allowing extra stress to ruin that.

It's not me moving away from my love of writing. I still work as a news reporter intern. I will still be an editor for the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse's school newspaper starting in the fall. I'm not giving up, I'm just giving myself the chance to live a happy life. Leaving the Odyssey is a gift to myself, even if I have enjoyed my time being a content creator.

It is okay to step back. It is okay to admit that you are not okay. Life is not simple, absolutely everyone understands that. Do not be afraid to put yourself first. You are worth that more than you will ever be able to understand. Enjoy your passions, but remember you cannot be passionate about anything if you are no longer yourself, the person that you can be proud of.

Yours truly,

A now-former Odyssey creator who is attempting to figure out her life

Thank you for every read.