It takes more than a hashtag

It takes more than a hashtag

Tweeting #PrayForHaiti isn't the only thing you should do.

6
It takes more than a hashtag
CNN

We see no one with #PrayForHaiti on their Instagram timeline or the flag as their profile picture on Facebook. Even if people did it, it takes more than this to help the affected Haitian community. With a death toll of over 1000 people, 1.4 million people needing humanitarian assistance and thousands left homeless without access of food and water, I don't consider tweets as a form of help unless it's to raise awareness and motivate people to donate to Haitian based charities. Haiti needs more than a hashtag, a flag on Facebook or a story on Snapchat because complaining about how everyone prayed for Paris and Orlando will not feed the starving mouths of those in need.

"In terms of destruction, 2016 is worst than 2010." Said Paul Edouarzin, a UN Environmental Program Employee. With a cholera outbreak, Haiti never recovered from the devastating earthquake, awaiting for international aid from the different charities that raised funds for the cause (Red Cross, I am judging you in particular) when Hurricane Matthew stepped in.

I call the rest of the world to not complain about the lack of pity for Haiti, comparing it to other catastrophes that made everyone come together as a digital family, and start the actual help that they need. If the principal media sources ignore this, why don't you, dear reader, take a stand? I am sure Haiti will be more thankful for your time of bringing awareness to the world rather than emphasizing the lack of help.

In extension to this, here I share a tweet from @haiti_advocacy: