Take my word for it, a relationship without acceptance is doomed from the start.

Just like it is necessary to have expectations, it is equally as important to accept certain aspects of your relationship.

32

If you think about it, your relationship with yourself wouldn't be possible without learning how to accept who you are. So why do we expect to fall in love with other people without learning to accept them as well?

Accept your differences.

Keeping things fresh and entertaining is helpful within relationships. Try considering your differences as assets and embrace them.

Accept that you cannot change your partner.

If it's not a big deal, then don't make it one. Do not be selfish and try to mold your partner into an ideal human being so that they can fit your needs. Genuine people will change when they want to change for themselves, and not for you. In other words, allow the other person to be who they are.

Accept apologies.

In order to have a successful and thriving relationship, forgiveness is key. Attempting to achieve perfection in a relationship happens more than you think, so understanding that people make mistakes, can relieve some of that pressure. Although, keep in mind to not be a pushover.

Accept the reality of perfection.

Do not, under any circumstance, allow society and social media to cloud your perception of perfectionism. Your perfectionism is made up of what brings you joy and is ideal for you. Don't waste your time comparing your relationship to relationships you see on websites or tv shows that you know are not ideal.

Accept that your partner is right when you're wrong.

This is for you to understand that you as well are capable of making mistakes. In other words, you are not the splitting image of perfection either.

Accept that you are sharing your life.

The meshing of two lives is a big step. Both of you are embarking on a new journey together, with sometimes no clear evidence of where it may lead. But, throughout the journey, it is important to not lose your identity while building this life together.

Accept the good and the bad.

Ups and downs are bound to happen. Hopefully you have more ups then downs though! Overall, be accepting of both ends of the spectrum. Keep in mind that relationships aren't always sunshine & rainbows. Learn to work together and you and your partner will be able to survive both thick and thin.