System Support

System Support

I am just a supporting actor. As are you.

28
System Support

I never realized I was, rather, I am a supporting actor. I look for my mark and insert myself into your scene. I am only a constant for me. Otherwise, I am plainly someone to help your movie continue. A character to move along the plot of your story. If I didn't have your film, then mine would be supremely boring. Nobody would watch it. It would have no stars on Netflix and the lowest score of 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. My scenes are entirely heightened by your presence. I appreciate the fact that you make me better. You make me different. You alone make me original.

That's the biggest issue I've come across in my adult life. The issue of originality. The idea that we are all significant and uniquely beautiful snowflakes. While there is foundation in that concept for teaching children to become creative, I personally think it is broadly excluding the reason or the cause for our individuality. I contrast from you because of you. My rarity is thoroughly based in you being rare. I'm an exclusive model due to you also being a limited release. This is massively lost as we pursue means of self-reliance economically, spiritually and socially.

It has become increasingly apparent, we love ourselves. "You"-tube, selfies, and likes. Narcissism is potentially the most pervasive it's ever been. Social media has become perverted (in relation to it's origin.) It's grown into praising single individuals with seemingly worthless commodities. Our own vanity is at stake. Those people pressing the like button are not performing that action so the other person can be affirmed. It's the reverse. Clicking on a tiny little thumb implies that you also want that to happen to you. You want that person to do the same for you. You want that person to be your back up vocalist. Your hype man. It's an emotional barter system.

There must be some value in endorsing the self. Right? You can look in the mirror and say, "Today is MY day." Only, that is the most selfish act. Attempting to commandeer existence for the individual is wholeheartedly arrogant.Though, it could be argued, I am alive because of arrogance. My parents thought on some level that their lives and family lines were of such a brilliant caliber, the world would benefit from accepting me. Maybe, just maybe, they needed another supporting role to complete their play.

It's hard to remember that I have been led to this point in my life. That I've been led to every point in my life. It's not like I can recall with vivid memory that one time I came out of the womb. "I was so top heavy! I couldn't keep my own damn head up." Yet, that's how we all start. As an extension, a helpless continuation of two actors. I am not a lead. I have always been a supporting actor. It's a role that goes overlooked almost everyday because of the delusion that my life is entirely about me. I can't help it, I'm super forgetful. However, it's most likely a safe bet that you are as well.