What Swimmers Think While On Their College Training Trips

College swimmers on their training trips are thinking roughly the same thing right now

86
Michael Seaman's Photography

Nearly every college swimmer is currently part way done with a training trip, where they’re swimming at least once every day, and probably doing some dry land training as well. Many schools go somewhere warm, such as Florida, while others (Colby-Sawyer, for example) are staying on campus. Here is what we’re all thinking:

I’m so hungry

You just burned a lot of calories. Now you need to eat something to replace those calories.

Why did I agree to this?

I get it, you’re exhausted, but just think about the kind of shape you’ll be in after training ends.

I can’t do this

Chances are, you can. So the least you can do is try. If it turns out you actually can’t, try altering whatever it is you’re doing to make it a little easier.

Why does lotion have to hurt my face so much?

When you swim more than once a day, every day, your face gets really dry, no matter what you do. Even putting on lotion several times a day, my face still burns.

How does everyone else make it look so easy?

The only reason you may think everyone else is having an easy time is that you don’t hear that they’re thinking similar things to what you’re thinking about. They’ve probably had similar thoughts to these and then some, so you just need to follow their example and tough it out.

Hey look, I have muscles

One of the good things about working out so much is that you get really strong, which means your muscles are probably somewhat visible even when you’re relaxed.

I can’t wait until classes start and I don’t have to swim as much

Or maybe that's just me.