Sweat, Support, and CycleBar: A Workout For Your Body And Mind

CycleBar is way more than just a spinning class, but a community filled with support.

5
Shelby Arnett

CycleBar, a spinning class that offers an incredible workout combined with upbeat music and a friendly atmosphere, has newcomers and veteran riders lined up at the door to get a spot. People can't seem to get enough of the workout.

CycleBar opened several years ago and has significantly grown in popularity since then, competing with other spinning studios across the nation like SoulCycle. CycleBar, however, comes with a few standout aspects.

The term 'bar' actually plays a key role in the 45-minute workout. The instructors use a weighted bar to add an upper body workout to the session, hitting all the muscle groups aside from solely legs.

The sense of community that riders gain from CycleBar classes is unmatched.

I have been to CycleBar numerous times since the studio opened years ago in Louisville, and the feeling of gratitude that I receive after accomplishing a workout filled with determination, hard work, sweat, and support from fellow riders is a feeling I cannot find anywhere else.

Each instructor, or CycleStar instructor, that I have had during a class has made a point to introduce themselves and thank each person for making the trip out to participate in a spinning session. Their joy and energy is contagious, especially when the workout starts to get difficult and heart rates begin to speed up.

The CycleStars genuinely know how to connect with their riders.

They offer words of encouragement during the class that go well beyond "Great job!" and "Keep it up!" CycleBar's spinning classes are not easy by any means, and the instructors know that just as well, so they do the very most to keep riders positive and motivated.

Oftentimes, the CycleStars take a few minutes during the class to speak directly with the riders as music plays in the background. My most recent instructor reminded the class that we were all in the studio for a reason, and it was our time to wipe away any anxieties or apprehensions outside of CycleBar. It was our time to live in the moment with zero worries, and it was a moment I will never forget.

I had never felt so validated in a workout class.

The studio itself is set up with over 40 bikes in several rows to encompass the sense of community during the ride. Lights in the studio change from red to blue or green, or even no lights at all depending on the theme of the ride.

The workout session consists of multiple bursts of speed and sprints, resistance-based uphill climbs, and getting up out of the seat for a more challenging ride. This happens way more than once during the ride, making for a fun-filled workout that is likely to keep you on your toes.

Throughout the class, riders can choose to participate in CycleStats, where each participant's name is displayed on a screen at the front of the room. The screen shows a leaderboard of the top riders for those who need an extra push of motivation. It is completely optional for riders to choose whether or not they want their name shown, but it does keep up the competitive aspect of the workout.

CycleBar is the definition of a calorie-burning, butt-kicking workout that unites people together who share the same love for music, sweat, and community all in one. Once you try your first class, you won't be going anywhere else for a workout ever again.