To Susquehanna Rising, Those Who Disagree With You Are Not Your Enemy

Creating civil conversation on campus.

217
Noah Fenstermacher

Dear (The) Politically Active,

I never thought I would find myself writing one of these letters, but recent events have changed the status quo, and it seems so in a number of ways.

The now-infamous appearance of Ben Shapiro on Susquehanna's campus has created an uproar on campus between the many active factions: Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservative thinkers, as well as those physically on campus, and others who took to their computers for debate.

I consider myself essentially independent(and yes, I know that's often the 'cop out' phrase we use to avoid political arguments), and see the benefits and flaws of both sides.

Hell, I acquired a ticket and attended this controversial speaking seminar solely because I consider myself an ever-learner, and hearing how one side thinks is never as beneficial as understanding both points made, though without ever needing to agree with them.

This brings me to my main point, and that is that someone disagreeing with you does not make them the enemy. That is something I wish to make abundantly clear.

Understand, I too have participated in some activism and protesting on campus, albeit to a far lesser degree than many of my other courageous allies on campus.

As an example, on March twenty-first the Black Student Union hosted the "We Out" movement, in which participants garbed themselves in all black attire and many went completely silent throughout the day, doing so in direct response to Ben Shapiro appearing on campus.

Still, as the group will tell you, this stretches far beyond one controversial speaker or issue, and in fact predates years of feeling unheard and their opinions unvoiced.

Of course, this was only my interpretation of the event, so please take this as one man's (me) perspective, and not the sole definition of what this movement means(which can be different for everyone involved).

I highly recommend my readers to stop into the Center for Diversity & Inclusion to learn so much more about a passionate, powerful group of individuals among us for a more educated and thorough understanding.

Back to my point: one thing that is abundantly clear on campus and on social media that I've personally seen is that a number of politically active people are unwilling to even recognize that there could be another side to an argument.

I'm not proposing we entertain every notion, as I can't remember the last time I forced myself to listen to blatantly racist rhetoric lobbed in my direction, but the inclusion of another set of ideals does not inherently mean that person supports them.

Since I love backing up my opinions with facts, take my fellow classmate Michael Kennedy as an example. Michael and I share a brotherly bond by being in Phi Mu Delta Mu Alpha fraternity together, but that doesn't mean just by being brothers I wholeheartedly agree with everything ALL my fellow members do.

In this case, though, our mentalities aligned as Michael sought to encourage bipartisan, civil conversation about politics in an arguably creative and effective manner.

Along with SU Democrats, of which he is president of, he hosted a bake sale leading up to the event, after which he decided to listen on on Shapiro's talk and even propose a few polite questions.

Their talk was amicable, and for a moment, there was a bridged cooperation; they didn't agree, not on everything, but they came together to accept both had the free ideal to speak.

However, this did not last. Not even a few hours later, Michael Kennedy was targeted online by a site known only as "Susquehanna Rising" that sought to lambaste him for his "betrayal" of his classmates.

Once more, I'll not state my opinion on the conflict. That's not the center of discussion here. What is at the heart of this whole scenario is how "Susquehanna Rising" demonizes what he/she/they believe to be "the other side".

I will not posit who they are, or out them here and now, as I respect their stance to give them the secrecy they so crave, but do ask that Mr. Michael Kennedy be given some similar grace.

Going public about your political opinion nowadays, especially nowadays, is a very intense choice to make, let alone to be attacked by, quite ironically, someone/someones who seemingly hold, based on their site's media posts, a similar liberal view of campus life themselves.

The journalist in me came out, so I found Michael after the incident, who had only this to state: "It's shameful.....discouraging political discourse in this way. I disagree with Ben Shapiro. I think some of the things he said were repulsive, but I still think letting him speak was the right thing to do."

This article is not meant to demonize "Susquehanna Rising" either, though I'm sure some may take it that way, and in this symbolic way teaches a lesson through their being so anonymous.

I cannot speak with them directly so this message goes out to all those with strong political opinions: Those who disagree are not your enemy. They're people.

Though you make think to yourself, "Yeah, stupid, ignorant, wrong people,", they are as entitled to state their opinion as you are yours. If this environment is to remain as politically engaging as I love for it to be, for us to be free to express ourselves, we must understand the basic decencies of civil conversation before doing so.

This text may be controversial, but please, reach out to me if you have any questions about this topic or the political goings-on in general.

As you know I tackle these Odyssey posts once a week, consider myself fairly unbiased, and if you want me to write an essay about something you are passionate about, but afraid to state aloud, feel free to anonymously message me on Facebook.

Your name will be kept secret and your voice will be heard.