Going To College Far From Home And Surviving Homesickness

Going To College Far From Home And Surviving Major Homesickness

Being far from home isn't as bad as it seems.

59

I just went from California to South Carolina for college, and trust me I know how hard the homesickness can hit once you realize that you really truly are on your own from here.

1. Find your people

Find people you can hang out with, people that you relate to, that you get along with. It even helps to find people that you can talk to about missing home if they are going through the same thing too.

2. Focus on school 

An obvious one, I know. But, I found it helpful to do all my school work and keep myself distracted by it for a while, and I will usually not even think about being homesick.

3. Decorate your dorm with things that remind you of home

Whether it be photos of your friends and family, or pictures of home, or things from the state you're from, little reminders are always helpful.

4. Get involved

Get involved around campus. Sign up for sorority rush, join clubs, get involved in organizations, etc. Become every day of something that will keep you busy.

5. Call home

I thought my parents were going to get sick of me calling every day, but trust me they miss you just as much as you miss them. And hearing from them helps a lot.