4 Survival Tips For Introverts

4 Survival Tips For Introverts

Recharge and relax, and you will be fine!

1231
4 Survival Tips For Introverts
Simon Migaj

I have always thought that I was an extrovert. I am a very smiley person, out-going, and pretty comfortable with strangers. This was when I thought that being an extrovert described someone who was outgoing and being an introvert described someone who was shy. I was wrong.

Being an introvert is not being shy and being an extrovert is not being out-going. There was more to this. These personality traits are determined by how and where you get your energy from. Introverts derive their energy from spending time alone, while extroverts recharge through social interactions.

If college thought me one thing, it's that I am a HUGE introvert. Through the years, I have found helpful some ways to recharge and re-energize myself, even in situations where it requires a lot of social interactions. I present to you - a survival kit for my dear introverts.

1. Discover an activity you enjoy.

Find out what distresses you and helps you during your relaxation time. I found out that Netflix is the way when I need to recharge. I go to my room, close the door, and an episode or two (let's be real) on Netflix helps as I get my alone time.

I often read as well, in a method of escaping reality and using my imagination as I read a book. It's really what you find joy in.

2. Know your limit!

There are times when my friends plan activities back to back and because FOMO is real, I tend to attend all these events. But, know your limit!!! There were times I got extremely exhausted and moody as my body ran out of energy, and I probably looked unhappy.

Although by now my friends know what that means, it's rude to be a party pooper in these situations. There will always be more things to do with your friends so make sure you take time for yourself and know when to recharge.

3. Take a bathroom break.

Slipping out of an event for a bathroom break can be very useful. Usually, you go to the bathroom by yourself, so using this time to recharge is better than nothing. There will be some situations where you cannot just leave so these short breaks will really help you out!

Step outside for a bit as well to get some fresh air and know that everyone feels this way sometimes. It helps to just be out by yourself, even for a short time.

4. Be patient with yourself.

I learned that being an introvert is not a bad thing at all! We all recharge differently and it is up to us to notice when our body is in need of some recharging. It's crucial to be patient with yourself and understand that alone time is needed just so you can collect your thoughts.

Patience is key when you recharge and know that it is a great thing to put your body first and take care of yourself.

There are many ways to recharge and rewind, but these are just four tips I have discovered as I dealt with being an introvert. I have experienced a huge difference in my social interactions, after recognizing when I need my alone time, so I hope these tips help!