A Survival Guide For Long Distance Relationships

Sometimes distance calls for a little creativity.

11
Photo Bucket

Distance can be the true test to a relationships strength. Even the strongest foundations can be strained, simply from being apart too long. This doesn't mean the relationship isn't working, everyone has days where they happen to miss their significant other a bit harder than normal.

Fortunately, maintaining contact is incredibly easier than ever before. Here are some tips on staying close, from someone who's played the game of distance for a year.

1. Understand each other's schedule.

This is particularly important for relationships where there is a sizable time difference. Most people have a semi-regular work or class schedule, and catching on to this is key. Instead of feeling ignored when you don't get a reply back, you'll know that they were in class, or at work, or possibly still asleep (even if it's noon their time). This also makes it easier if you need to schedule calls, that way there is no confusion.

2. Find unique ways to connect.

With the release of Pokemon Go, my boyfriend and I got the idea to dust off our Nintendo DS's, find copies of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, and duel our own Pokemon. Not only does this build a friendly rivalry, it's a different way to interact aside from Skype calls or text messages. This can go for any game that can be played over wifi, visit each other's town in Animal Crossing or race each other in Mario Kart.

3. Send care packages.

It's odd how close a small box of gifts can make you feel to someone. Send shirts, blankets, snacks or other gifts you know will put a smile on your significant other. Make mix CD's so long drives don't feel so lonely, or send a framed photo for them to wake up to in the morning. If someone is moving into a new dorm or apartment, a candle that you picked out special for them will always remind them of you when they smell it.

An even more unique care package would be to find when they're home, and order pizza to be delivered to them (don't forget the tip!)

4. Don't feel like there is a set number of times you should speak.

Long distance relationships don't mean you're constantly sending messages out or sitting in front of the webcam. One quality Skype call means more than multiple calls sitting in silence. Just because someone isn't texting you all day every day doesn't mean they aren't thinking of you. It's almost better to wait to have an actual conversation than feel pressured to say all that you to say in a short amount of time because someone has to go back to class or work.

5. Have not only trust, but faith in the other.

Trust is built upon a foundation of proven actions and intentions, but faith is blind and has no proof. This is the most important aspect of a long distance relationship, without both qualities, the relationship will perish. It doesn't matter if someone goes to a mostly male school, the trust their partner has in them shows not only how strong the relationship is, but how committed both are to each other.

6. Write letters.

Spoken word is lovely, but it's not always an option. You also can't put it on repeat and visit it later.

There's a special kind of excitement when you find a letter in the mass of bills and newspapers in your mailbox. This is one piece of mail that you know will only contain good news, always. Putting pen to paper can help put feelings into words in ways that were never so clear and concise. Not only is it comforting to read old letters when you miss something, it's a way to feel closer because you know someone sat down and took the time to tell you how they feel. Their hands were the ones that brushed across the paper and put the words down.

7. Argue if you have to.

A common misconception people have is that those who are in long distance relationships don't fight. Perhaps they fight less, but nonetheless, misunderstandings or other conflicts arise. In these kinds of relationships, small problems are capable of growing into massive problems because you don't get to see someone's body language and hear their tone in responses. Issues must be brought up with and dealt with as soon as possible, because after a screaming match over the phone, there is no option to kiss and make up. Say what you need to say, then resolve the conflict and take care of each other. It's hard to be close, and it's easy to drift apart over a simple misunderstanding or mistake. Resolve issues, and move on.

8. Set goals.

No one said you're packing up and getting married the next time you see each other, but dreaming of the future can put even the most anxious mind to rest. Don't worry about the plane tickets and planned visits, but rather the life you'll build when the gap finally closes for good. It's not a bad idea to talk about how you want the biggest bed you can buy so you can fit all the pet dogs you'll have when you're together, or how you'll want a balcony to sit on when you have a house.

9. Try your hardest to make a date when you'll see each other next.

For some relationships, this is a hard one due to work and school, but try to at least have a window of when you have the possibility of seeing each other. No matter how many miles and months away from each other, just having a general idea of when the next chance will be will help melt the days away and keep things from getting too hard when you miss them.

With that being said, if you know where you'll be seeing each other, go ahead and bounce ideas off of each other for what you want to do, where you want to eat etc. Even better, if both of you are displaced from your hometown, perhaps try to meet in a different place. Make it a vacation, that way you get not only the experience of being with each other, but also exploring new places and trying new things.