Surprise, I'm Actually Not An Introvert

Surprise, I'm Actually Not An Introvert

Redefining who I am.

1
Surprise, I'm Actually Not An Introvert
Unsplash

"Personality traits exist along a continuum, and the vast majority of us aren’t introverts or extroverts." Travis Bradberry

The reason I'm writing this is that I feel I'm not the only one who has been mislabeled "introvert" when I don't feel as if that truly encompasses my being. I do not believe I am purely introverted, as most people aren't. If anything, I'm highly ambiverted—a mix between extroverted and introverted.

One thing I've heard before from certain circles of people is: "you're so quiet" when sitting in a group setting where everyone is discussing some topic. The thing they fail to realize is that I find difficulty placing myself into a conversation that doesn't interest me, or one that I know nothing about.

For example, if a group of people are sitting around me talking about the inner workings of a car engine—of which I know absolutely nothing—I'll sit, observe, and learn (or zone out if it gets that boring). But if you bring up a movie I love, music I appreciate or a social issue I feel very passionate about, I will try my best to interject. (Disclaimer: if I feel as if the people in the group will not listen to or respect my opinion, I won't).

My friends who know me say I'm passionate, and an open book, which I am. I don't like to lie, and if you ask me something I'll answer it sincerely. I tend to not feel ashamed of my opinions or my interests, because I think they make me uniquely and unapologetically me. I've also been told I like 'social attention,' and that I like to enjoy life in the company of people I love. At the same time, other people have asked me:

"You like to be alone, don't you?"

The answer is yes and no. Some of the time, yes. I like to be alone when I really need to get work done in a short time span, and I know I will be distracted by the presence of other people because I will want to interact. Occasionally, I like to be alone when I need to rest after a strenuous day or a stressful event. But too much time alone and I find myself sending texts like:

"What are you doing right now?"

It brings to mind the quote: "Some people think I’m quiet, while others think I’m highly social." This can be hard to understand for people who easily fit into one category or other, or who only see one side of you. But that's the thing, we all have different sides to our personalities, and different ways in which we interact with various kinds of people.

If you catch me during finals week, you might think: "Wow, such a studious girl. Spends so much time bent over a book." (Side note: I actually don't enjoy studying, that seems to be a misconception. I am, however, responsible and know when I need to get things done).

On the flip side, if you catch me on a Friday out at the beach with my friends, you might think differently. You might see the side of me that finds humor in almost everything, that loves to be hugged and given attention, and you might finally think the thoughts I've thought to myself all this time:

"Introvert? No, no. There's got to be more to it than that."