Why You Should Support The Use Of Medical Marijuana, From A Colorado Native

With more states legalizing medical marijuana, it could actually be an effective treatment option.

67
Google Images

In a recent study presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 69th Annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts, it was found that medical marijuana could be used to treat seizures in patients and could reduce episodes by up to 50%.The marijuana used to treat seizures, cannabidiol, is naturally found and derived from marijuana plants and is sold as an oil to be used for medical purposes.

Medical marijuana is not legal in every state, and its use is still controversial despite scientific evidence that proves it could be beneficial as a treatment for many illnesses like epilepsy.

There is still opposition to the use of medical marijuana as a treatment for illness. Prescription drugs are still the popular treatment option, as they are believed to be more effective. In addition, the pharmaceutical industry is a nearly $7 billion industry, making it highly profitable in health care.

As a Colorado native living in a state where medical marijuana is legalized, I support its use. Since the 2012 legalization of marijuana in Colorado, there have been many misconceptions about marijuana. Everyone in Colorado does not use marijuana and the whole state is not high all the time. The age to use marijuana, whether recreational or medical, is 21, and it is a taxed substance. In 2016, Colorado made $1.1 billion in taxes from the sale of recreational and medical marijuana, which was used to benefit the state for projects such as infrastructure development or school funding.

In Colorado, you need a card to use medical marijuana, so you can’t just go and get it when you are sick. The cards are only available to Colorado residents and can only be used in Colorado. To get a card, you have to be registered with the state under the Colorado Medical Marijuana Registry, which operates under the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Medical marijuana is also not cheap. Just because you have a card in Colorado doesn’t mean you can get it for free. You still have to buy medical marijuana for full price at a dispensary. However, compared to recreational marijuana, the sales tax is only 7.72% and the prices of medical marijuana are lower overall.

Within the medical community, medical marijuana use has public health support. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has funded research for the benefits of medical marijuana use. The American Public Health Association has even viewed the legalization of marijuana as a public health priority and a positive policy measure, as it could improve the health of the population.

Many people still oppose the use of medical marijuana, as it is an illegal drug in many states. The choice to move to states like Colorado where medical marijuana is legalized is often controversial, because it seems as though people are rejecting traditional medical treatments and using medical marijuana instead.

However, using medical marijuana can be a better treatment option, especially if these prescription drugs are not effective to manage your symptoms. With the growing use of prescription drugs for many illnesses, medical marijuana can be an alternative option with none of the harsh side effects of prescription drugs. For example, for someone who has migraines, they could use medical marijuana instead of being prescribed powerful opioids, which are currently being overprescribed at epidemic proportions in the United States. Additionally, there has been no evidence of medical marijuana overdoses, making it a safer option.

The legalization of marijuana in Colorado does not change my opinion about using medical marijuana. I recognize that there are benefits to using medical marijuana, and there is public health support for the sale and use of medical marijuana; I support this because it is a field in which I will become a future professional. More research is being done to test the effects of medical marijuana, and it has fewer side effects than prescription drugs.

As 28 states and Washington DC have already legalized medical marijuana, more states will likely follow. States often tax the sale of marijuana and use the money for other projects. With more research coming out about the positive benefits of medical marijuana, it could be enough for more states to decide to legalize medical marijuana.