Superigirl: Badassery And feminism?

Superigirl: Badassery And feminism?

Warning: spoilers below.

21
Superigirl: Badassery And feminism?
Forbes.com

It’s not often that you get a TV show where there is action and most of the characters are women. Let alone badass women who save the world, more than once. Especially ones who don’t even need superpowers to stand-up against villains and beat the odds to save the world. In case you forgot what powerful women look like, Super Girl, the show, is sure to remind you. In this era, where most of women-kind is represented on TV in reality shows, comedies and dramas like Grey’s Anatomy and Shameless. It’s fantastic to see women finally portrayed as heroes and not just sidekicks, comedic relief and sex appeal on television.

Don’t be fooled by the name of the show, because Super Girl isn’t even the most influential woman on the show that is saving lives and demonstrating badass traits. This show has a plethora of female leads that prove this isn’t just a man’s world, and they are damn sure not just gonna sit back and let the men protect it.

In Super Girl, episode 21: Resist, you get the prime set up for these women to showcase their strength. Earth is under attack by the Daxamites (neighbors to the planet Krypton) and they fully intend on enslaving humans if Super Girl and the DEO (Department of Extra-Normal Operations) don’t stop them. Just in the opening scene, Maggie Sawyer, a cop has to escape the precinct from the alien strike team, sent to take out all possible resistance forces in the immediate city. From what we’re shown, she is the only officer that makes it out. Just in the first 2 minutes you watch a male officer get taken out as Maggie uses her quick reflexes and shooting skills to escape the attackers and get away. As is if a fire-fight alone isn’t impressive, Maggie wins a 3-to-1 fight against advanced weapons. With 1 bullet from a handgun and a shotgun she picks up on the way out of the building ... Maggie Sawyer, you’ve just been issued your Badassery Award.

Then, we have Madam President Olivia Marsdin! Yes, that’s right ladies and gents, in this DC universe there is a female president and she is fantastic. When the world is under attack, where does Madame President go? Not to the presidential bunker! Marsdin jumped in Air Force One and headed straight towards the mother-ship. Not only that, she then proceeds to video-call the leader of the Daxamite invaders, Rhea (who literally has an armada of ships around her full of weapons that makes a nuke look like a fire-cracker) and tells her to back down because the nations of the world will unite against her if she doesn’t and they will win. “This is not a negotiation, this is a demand”. Umm… talk about David staring into the face of Goliath. This alone earns President Marsdin her Badassery Award. But we’re not done with her just yet. We’ll circle back.

The most important part of this episode that shows just what exactly a truly powerful woman looks like, is when Cat Grant steps into the room on Air Force One to mediate the discussion between the POTUS and the alien invader. Just in case you missed that, I’ll say it again: Cat Grant, the Queen of Media, walked in a room on Air Force One and started mediating discussion between the president of the United States and the ruler of the alien invaders when they started arguing like high school boys. What was it? “adolescent macho-bolstering.” as Cat called it.

Someone give this woman two Badassery Awards, and a Key to the Kingdom just for that alone.

Then Miss Grant took a second to remind everyone, including us viewers just how much better women are at resolving a heavy situation when she said: “Is this really who you wanna be? Testosterone driven wind-bags boasting about your big guns? Surely, we don’t need to measure anything, we’re women. We’re tough and we’re wise, and we’re way above this pettiness”. “The future is female, we’ve all read the shirts”. Clever, witty, and entirely true! If you disagree with me, you might want to recheck your American new feeds over the last few months.

I mean, then of course Rhea just blows up Air Force one because that’s what alien invaders bent on domination do. But never the less, they both survive, and we find out President Marsdin is actually an alien. To which Cat says, “At least tell me you’re still a democrat!” Once again, someone throw this woman a second key for being entirely accepting of diversity. Marsdin then gives the order to take no prisoners and fire the secret Positron Cannon on top of the DEO’s headquarters at the mother-ship which Rhea is on. (A Positron Cannon will vaporize literally anything).Aaaaand issue Marsdin her second Badassery Award for making the hard call once she realized that the Daxamites were going to destroy human kind no matter what. Plus, the fact that she stayed cool despite the fact that she was shot out of the sky.

Oh, and Cat throws in a small jab saying if she can survive dinner with Bill O’Reilly she can survive “a little turbulence” after being shot out of the sky. Brilliance!

Last but not least, just skipping over the fact that Alex Danvers and Maggie once again (making that #2 for her), get Badassery Awards for breaking into the heavily guarded, enemy controlled DEO to shoot the positron cannon at the mother ship. We get to the last example of girl power and badass-ness that this episode had to offer. It’s up to Lillian Luther and Super Girl to save Mon-El and Lena who are currently being held hostage on the ship. And no Super Girl doesn’t get a Badassery Award for using her superpowers to save them. Lillian gets a Badassery award for saving the hostages and attempting to outsmart Super Girl, so that she’s trapped on the ship when it gets hit with the Positron Cannon. Fate of the world is in play, and Lillian figures out a way to save her loved one, eliminate the threat to the planet, and her arch-enemy in one blow. Super Girl receives a Badassery Award for being smart enough to know that Lillian would double cross her, and having a counter plan to prevent that from happening. In addition to then trying to show Rhea mercy by giving her one last chance to surrender before the ship is blown to smithereens.

I mean ultimately, they never fired the cannon because in Alex’s moment of hesitation in not wanting to kill Kara who was still on the ship, someone destroyed the cannon. But that’s beside the point. These women prove every episode just how amazing, influential and powerful women can be. This show is an amazing symbol in this day and age which should not be over looked. You don’t have to have superpowers to be a hero, or be a woman to be a feminist. You just have to believe that women should be allowed to equal opportunity and can achieve their goals just like any man can. Super Girl the show, is a great light to illuminate that mission.

One last brilliant thing that Cat Grant said in this episode: the secret to happiness is human connection. “It’s not about what you do, it’s about who you love”. Needless to say, someone give this woman another award.