My Summer Of Superhero Super-Education
Pop Culture

My Summer Of Superhero Super-Education

And discovering a new love for superheroes and comics.

35
My Summer Of Superhero Super-Education

Is it just me, or is every movie released lately starring some superhero who comes from a comic book? The most popular movie genre in 2018 is, without a doubt, the superhero flick. All the major production studios are getting ready to film comic book properties into the next big Hollywood blockbuster.

Needless to say, I haven't been to the movies lately. There's not much about a man in spandex that glitters if the sun hits it just right that feels normal. The story lines are really pretty much the same, too. I even went as far as saying this to my brother. He wasn't thrilled - of course the storylines behind the Marvel and D.C. movies are different! The way he said it made my mistake sound grave. It was something I should immediately repent for by diving head-first into the world of Marvel comics.

Before I detail my repentance, I should make it plain that I've obviously missed something. Comics are huge and absolutely not a thing of the past. In fact, there's even a comprehensive guide to superhero movie releases going all the way up to 2020.

That being said, I started watching some of the superhero movies already out on DVD. I got lost in a flurry of Professor X, mutants, and associated other superhero wonders like the Green Lantern, Flash, and Spiderman. While I've seen the first "Avengers" movie that came out in 2012, I haven't seen any of the follow-ups, and I didn't intend to until I was unsurprisingly smitten with Robert Downey Jr., which encouraged me to watch any and every Iron Man movie next.

The only logical next movie to watch? The Avengers and the sequels. My superhero binge concluded with "Infinity War." And if you haven't seen it yet, I'll only give away one spoiler. You, too will be left wondering how Scarlett Johansson fit into her leather costume as the Black Widow. Especially after seven years - that takes some dedication.

The superhero universes (Marvel, D.C. and all those in between) have 3D characters that all have their own stories. I'm starting to understand why the new releases of Hollywood focus on them. The story arcs take several movies to develop because they have so many different layers to them. The storylines of their movies are not all the same, even if the good guy usually has some sort of success in the end.

After discovering a new love for superheroes and comics, I'm definitely taking it up another level and will be reading the actual comics themselves.