Sup Spring

We've waited way to long, but it seems as if it may finally be here (knock on wood). Last winter, my first spent in the seasonally challenged state of Minnesota, lasted for much too long. Remember the May blizzard? I do. But an attitude adjustment and 10 months later, it seems as if we've finally made it to spring. 

What does that mean for us? Honestly, I haven't the faintest idea. As we missed spring in its entirety last year, I can’t wait to experience it for the first time at the U. I guess I’ll probably see some bucket hats. Maybe some ultimate frisbee? More time on porches. Definitely sun glasses and, of course, the compulsory accompaniment of some Vineyard Vine croakies and boat shoes that you’ve been wearing all winter despite the inches of ice and feet of snow.

We’ll see the return of packed bike lanes and our walks to West Bank will start to seem more and more like a terrible game of Frogger. It will become increasingly difficult to concentrate on our school work as the sun will no longer be setting at 4 p.m. It will be warm enough that we no longer have to dress as characters from Game of Thrones on the daily. It also indicates the return of Game of Thrones. Season four, anyone?!

It means you better get that internship cemented. It also means that summer is on its way and freedom is right around the corner. Somehow, we’ve all managed to make it another year.

It means a lot to some, especially those with allergies – have fun with that pollen – and probably a lot less to those who’ve been blessed with the wondrous carcinogenic UVA’s and B’s for months already. But, either way you cut it, spring is coming.

If you’re worried that you’re not prepared, that you’re still in winter mode and have just a little bit of hibernation heft still to shed, don’t fret! We’ve still got months until shirtless season. But, it never hurts to be over prepared.

What are a few things that you should be working towards as spring creeps up? My first move is to slowly transition my closet from winter to spring. My flannel love affair will have to be put on hold for a few months while I endeavor to work things out with my short sleeve button ups. Next will be eating only salad. Third will be to cop a sweet bucket hat. I lost my last one at Governor’s Ball, a music festival in NYC, and am in dire need of another. Although it probably won’t be a teal, reversible women’s bucket from REI that I find on a run through Como, I got my eyes set on a pretty fly Polo bear bucket. I’ll keep y’all posted on the search.

Harshbarger out.