#SummerSweat: My Favorite Ways To Stay Active In NYC

There are so many ways to sweat in NYC other than waiting for the subway!

14
Instagram

When I first moved to New York, I was a couch potato. I had just arrived in the city after a lifetime of dancing (which I still do a lot of now, but didn’t when I first got here), so I figured I was in good enough shape to handle a city lifestyle that included plenty of walking. (FYI, that theory didn’t hold out). When I started to be more active in school, I realized I had to become more active in life in general. (Translation: 10 hours a day of musical theater school was kicking my butt.) I quickly found ways to exercise and be healthy in the city. I found activities I loved and could-- for the most part-- afford.

I’m happy to share my finds with anyone who asks, so here are a few of my favorite ways to get the best #SummerSweat of your life. Warning: article may contain a few cheesy fitness-related hashtags.

1. A Run (or a race) In Central Park

(Central Park from the northern most point of the reservoir. Photo: Instagram @emily__lauren)

This is by far my favorite way to sweat for free (or the price of a good pair of sneakers)! I am very lucky to live semi-close to Central Park, so for the most part I do all of my running there. It’s ideal because the park has one giant 6-mile loop that can be broken down into smaller loops so you can vary your runs.

Central Park is a great place to run during the summer. You will constantly be surrounded by all kinds of runners, which is one of my favorite parts of running in the park. I love people watching. I love taking note of people’s outfits (specifically eyeing which race shirts they’re wearing), guessing how far they’ve already run based on exhaustion level, and occasionally exchanging an awkward smile. Also, there are water fountains everywhere. You’ll never have to go too far to quench your thirst (just don’t drink so much you make yourself nauseous, speaking from experience).

If you’re looking for a little bit of a challenge, Central Park is perfect.. The hills there are no joke. (Though don't fall for someone telling you that if you can handle the hills in the park, you can handle any hill. That's sadly not true. I was recently introduced to #HillsForBreakfast and truer words have never been spoken. So here it is; yes, the rolling hills by the reservoir on the west side (starting at about 86th street) are hard and yes, Harlem Hill (starting around 106th street) sucks from both directions. But, I will say, that some of the views you get from inside the park are worth all the hills.

Take note: my favorite view is at the southernmost point of the loop (around 59th street and 7th avenue). You can see all of the lights of Times Square, including the New Year’s ball, from within the peace and quiet of a Central Park morning.

If you’re feeling really great about your running, I highly suggest participating in a race with New York Road Runners (NYRR). Most of their races take place in the park and range anywhere from 5k’s to an Ultra-Marathon (you know, if 30+ miles around Central Park is your thing). NYRR is such a great community and racing with them is so much fun. And if you don’t run, volunteering is just as much fun!

Here's the Central Park Map and a great site New York Road Runners

2. High Intensity Interval Training (AKA HIIT)

(Me and Daph sweating. A lot. Photo: Instagram @definedbydaphnie)

So I’ve been really loyal to a HIIT workout in NYC for a little over a year now. It’s called HIIT IT! and was created by personal trainer/fitness goddess Daphnie Yang. This 60-minute total body workout (done in high intensity interval training format) has singlehandedly changed my body and my life. High Intensity Interval Training is when you do an exercise at your maximum effort for a short amount of time, then follow it with a brief (and I mean brief) rest period. Your heart rate is fluctuating constantly, thus providing you with obscene amounts of sweat and the best workout of your life. Not only is this class a great workout, but it’s a great community as well. HIIT IT! is a 100% judgement-free zone. Everyone there just wants to sweat and get stronger and have a great time doing it.

WARNING: You will do a lot of burpees and they will change your life. I myself had a burpee aversion when I started out (high school's Fitness Friday post-traumatic stress mostly), and now I have these bad-ass calluses on my hands from them and I couldn’t be happier. You will leave class sore and feeling like jello and you’ll hate yourself a little, but then you won’t be able to wait to do it again.

HIIT IT! takes place indoors at various studios in the city and occasionally in Central Park (which is my personal fave). And great news! It’s super affordable. Unlike selling your soul (and wallet) to group spin classes, HIIT IT! is only $25 a class and worth every penny. If you wanna join our #hiitfam check out more about HIIT IT! Hereor download the HIIT IT! app from the app store (Yes, there’s an app! How cool is that?!)

Dance Class at Steps On Broadway

(Upper West Side chalk art outside Steps last summer. Photo: Instagram @emily__lauren)

Whether you’ve been a dancer your whole life like me, or you’re just starting out, Steps On Broadway is great place to go. Last summer, Steps became my new dance home when I participated in their summer dance intensive. This beautiful studio on the Upper West Side is home to every level, in almost every style with some of the most incredible teachers New York City has to offer. I’m adding this to my #SummerSweat list because in the middle of the summer these studios get HOT! Unless you’re lucky enough to snag the spot at the barre in front of the only air conditioner in the room, you are going to sweat. And I understand sweaty conditions aren’t the best in a leotard and tights in the middle of the summer, but the classes are so worth it.

If you have a big contemporary dance background, I’d highly suggest checking out the Steps With Contemporary Masters series. A different, prominent contemporary choreographer teaches a two-hour workshop everyday for a week. You can come once or you can come all week. These classes were my favorite in the summer program and I can’t wait to take a few again this summer. But, if you’re new to dance or not really a dancer, don’t be discouraged. You can take basic level classes, as well as pilates, yoga, zumba and other cardio-based dance classes! The classes are only $19 a piece! How amazing is that?! Check out their weekly schedule here.

A Bike Ride (A real one, not a stationary one)

(West Side Highway at sunset. Photo: Instagram @emily__lauren)

Last but not least, try a bike ride, especially one that takes you down West Side Highway. I haven’t gotten to do this nearly as much as I’d like but I had to add it because bike rides are my favorite thing ever, especially in the summer. I don’t own my own bike, as it would give my mother a heart attack, but the addition of Citi Bikes to my neighborhood this summer has me really excited. I can’t wait to ride down the West Side and use that road and those bikes as a means of transportation when the subway is just too hot to bear.

Citi Bike’s are super easy to use. The only major condition is that it needs to be docked in a Citi Bike rack every 30 minutes. A day pass on a Citi Bike costs $12 and 3 days is $24. If you’re a local and really want to make biking your mode of transportation, an annual membership only costs $15 a month! That’s so much cheaper than the subway! So do it! Ride a bike. The view is much better than the one you get underground! And you’re getting a nice workout to add to your #SummerSweat goals.

These are just a few of the many amazing ways to be fit and sweaty in NYC. New York is home to some of the best boutique fitness classes and the abundance of parks makes it easy to get outside and sweat this summer. I’m always up for trying new things. If you have a workout in NYC that you love, leave it in the comments! I’d love to hear about it! (Though I do have a group spin class aversion if you didn’t notice that earlier.) So grab your sneakers and your #fitfam and have the best #SweatySummer ever!