Summer Wonder Festival 2016: Attack of the Wallet Destroyers

Wonder Festival, commonly abbreviated WonFes, is the largest bi-annual figure convention in the world held once in Summer and once in Winter in Japan. It features many new announcements and releases for figures and this is a run down of some outstanding work from this year's Summer WonFes.

52
Otaku Spirit

In the world of figure collecting, there are few events held in as high esteem as the bi-annual Wonder Festival, commonly abbreviated to "WonFes". This popular event is always flooded with figure making companies that have been working tirelessly to be ready to show off their newest figure announcements, prototypes, and releases. Summer WonFes 2016 took place on July 24 from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm in Chiba, Japan. As figure collecting is a hobby that captivates thousands worldwide, this event is always very highly anticipated by collectors. There are always numerous announcements by various figure making companies, both large and small, but as with any event focusing on new releases, there are some that simply stole the show. Here's a run down of some of the highlights from this year's Summer WonFes Figure Expo!

1.Alter/ALTAiR featuring Reiji Kotobuki and and Ai Mikaze from Uta no Prince Sama

One of the most highly anticipated prototypes can be found here with the first two of five new UtaPri figures that were announced at last year's Summer WonFes. As soon as the announcements were made public last year, fans around the world have been clamoring for updates as to when we would finally lay eyes on the 7th member of STARISH and the four belonging to Quarter Night. Well, the time has finally come, and while they are not yet colored, their poses are dynamically suited to the characters themselves and since this company's branch, ALTAiR specializes in bishounenn type figures, it's a safe bet to assume that they will be drop dead gorgeous when they're ready for pre-order. In addition, Alter has a good reputation for making high quality figures at decent prices! Double win wouldn't you say? No word on when these handsome idols will be painted and up for pre-order, but hopefully it will be soon!

Reiji Kotobuki of Quartet Night (Uta no Prince Sama)

Ai Mikaze of Quartet Night (Uta no Prince Sama)

2.Kotobukiya: ARTFXJ featuring Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass-Code Black in Ashford 1st Live Encore

Next up, we have a sort of "Alternate Universe" type figure, most likely the first in a set, of Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass! Crafted by Kotoobukiya's ARTFXJ branch, this one will definitely be a collection must-have. From the finely crafted details, to the way his outfit brings to mind the days of Rebellion where he paraded around as Zero, the pose makes him appear as imposing and confident as Zero, but as mysterious as Lelouch, effectively encompassing both sides of his persona. This new "Alternate Universe" setting appears to be a continuation or follow up of sorts to the earlier Code Black releases. These were all based on the main characters from Ashford Academy performing in a band together in-you guessed it-all black, and this is sure to be as if from a different performance, hence the "1st Live Encore" attached to the title. Although that version had them performing and posed with their respective instruments, because Lelouch is the vocalist and no other figures for this set have been announced yet, it is unclear if they will be following suit and taking their instruments with them as well or not. Either way, this figure and the possible others following it are ones to keep an eye out for. Lelouch is slated to be up for pre-order this October.

Lelouch Lamperouge of Code Black in Ashford-1st Live Encore Edition (Code Geass)3.Kotobukiya: ARTFXJ featuring Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou

One of the most overall outstanding figures was the newest Natsume Yuujinchou figure. Featuring Natsume himself along with a bust of the very powerful Madara materialized alongside him as he returns a name from his book, the sheer ethereal power and majesty that is given off from this sculpt, even unpainted as it currently is, is astounding. From the beautiful details found in the hair on Madara to the details around Natsume's yukata, you can almost feel the wind and the spell on the yokai being broken as Natsume releases it from his control. There is no question that as soon as this is finalized and painted, it will be a must have for collectors and fans of the series. Since there was no information on when that could be, we will have to wait with baited breath, but it will be worth it nonetheless!

Takashi Natsume and Madara (Natsume Yuujinchou)

4.Kotobukiya: ARTFXJ featuring Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop

This release finds us during the celebration of the 15th year anniversary of Cowboy Bebop's anime U.S. release, so it seems fitting that one of the powers that be allowed a Spike Spiegel figure to be made! With that sly grin, easy going attitude, and mysterious air playing across his face and enveloping his body language, but not quite veiling the profound sadness in his eyes, those things that make Spike himself are clearly present. If anyone tried to make a figure of Spike lacking those things, it would be a cheap imitation at best. Even just with the prototype provided, the attention to emotional detail is stunning. This will no doubt turn out to be a required part of any fans collection and a great gift for any level fan of the legendary Cowboy Bebop series. Unfortunately, there currently seems to be no word about a release or pre-orders for this one either. But, knowing Kotobukiya's work, we will probably see it some time next year.

Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)

5.Aniplex+ featuring Allen Walker and Yuu Kanda from D. Gray-Man HALLOW

Allen Walker, the happy-go-lucky, tragedy-struck protagonist from the once again popular D. Gray-Man series was finally given an announcement for a figure release along with his prickly colleague and friend, Yuu Kanda! There has been tons of fantastic news for fans of the series ever since the mangaka, Katsura Hoshino, began releasing chapters again, officially granting the series a continuation from its painfully long hiatus. The resurgence in readers and more material to be adapted lead to a long awaited continuation of the anime, entitled D.Gray-Man HALLOW, that had been off the air for a whopping 10 years, along with tons of new merchandise, like these figures! Although they are just announcements, seeing as it was a popular series originally and they didn't get figures made the first time, this is a wonderful step in the right direction to not only have announcements for two of them, but also to have them coming from a high quality manufacturer. The prototypes will hopefully make an appearance later this year or early next year, and based on the pictures on the announcement cards, they should look good. With the news of Allen and Kanda in the works, one can only assume it is only a matter of time until we see an announcement for a figure of Lavi Bookman Jr.! Figures crossed!

Allen Walker (D.Gray-Man HALLOW)

Yu Kanda (D.Gray-Man HALLOW)

6.Revolve featuring Marika Tachibana from Nisekoi

A surprise from left field comes from the small figure company Revolve featuring a cute girl by the name of Marika Tachibana from Nisekoi! As a sort of mild harem series, there are of course several cute girls to choose from and Mari is just one such girl. Mari being a self-proclaimed "girly-girl" loves frilly and cute things and tries fervently to attract the attention of protagonist Raku Ichijou using her sweet, polite, girly ways. She is featured here in such a way that brings her cuteness stunningly and sweetly to life. An energetic pose in a stylish dress helps to highlight the lively expression on her face that seems to carry an infectious sense of happiness and excitement. In her left hand she carries a key that may be the key to Raku's locket! We may not know for a little while, but grab Mari while you're waiting so you don't miss out on this sweet girl even if Raku does!

Marika Tachibana (Nisekoi)

7.Stronger! featuring Vocaloids Kaito and Meiko Hanairogoromo version; Aquamarine featuring Vocaloid IA in IA Rocks!

These are two different companies and three different vocaloid characters, but among the huge number of vocaloid figures that are always released every year and at every WonFes whether it be Winter or Summer, these three stood out particularly. Part of the reason they stood out is because these vocaloids are not nearly as popular as the world renowned Hatsune Miku. In fact, you may not even know their names, let alone any of their music. Despite that, these three great characters not only got figures, but they're beautifully colored and artfully crafted. The first of the two Stronger! figures is Kaito, the blue haired boy, and he is featured in an elegant yukata with a parasol, as if prepared for a hanami party, or cherry blossom viewing. The girl he is being released with is Meiko, dressed in a gorgeously patterned and colored yukata standing sweetly next to a branch of cherry blossoms. The two paired together give not only a sensible aesthetic when you see the tree branch and the parasol together, but also a calming sensation of peace and natural beauty. They join their fellow vocaloid Hatsune Miku in this same Hanairogoromo theme and are set for pre-order on July 29th, 2016.

Stronger! Kaito Hanairogoromo ver. (left); Meiko Hanairogoromo ver. (right)

The third figure of this set is of another lesser known vocaloid by the name of IA. Surprisingly enough, this is her second figure by Aquamarine. Her pose is less whimsical this time around than the last, but the way she is posed here gives her a lot of confidence and power. There will be not a single soul willing to tell her she doesn't rock with that attitude! Aquamarine seems to have done a wonderful job on the detail given to her hair and eyes especially. If this is anything like the last IA figure they released, it will be gorgeous in person. No word on a pre-order release date yet, but seeing as she seems to be fully painted, it is probably safe to assume that it will be soon.

Aquamarine IA (IA Rocks! ver.)

8.Good Smile Company featuring Mumei from Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress

Fellow Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress fans, rejoice! Mumei was given no less than four prototypes and announcements this WonFes and considering Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress only just finished airing less than a month ago, that is remarkable. However, out of the two scales, figma, and Nendroid she was given, this is by far the most dynamic and exciting to look at. Capturing her carefree attitude in the sculpt of her expression, you can see just how much fun she is having testing her skills against those nasty Kabane! This in-air pose gives the impression of her springing to life and easily taking down any and all enemies in her way, while fighting in a way that is both powerful and beautiful. No doubt about it, this is going to be the Mumei figure you will want to add to your collection. Nendroids and figmas may be cute and fun, but this scale figure captures her personality and capability perfectly. Good Smile Company paint jobs are smooth and meticulous, so there is no doubt in my mind that once this figure is shown painted, it will become the hottest Mumei figure available. No set pre-order date just yet, but given how quickly they released a prototype, there should be more information in the next few months.

Mumei (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress)

9.Toys Works featuring Makoto Tachibana and Haruka Nanase from Free! Eternal Summer Water Gun version

What would a summer figure convention be without some of anime's favorite swimmers? Even though companies can never seem to release anything but an infinite number of versions of the popular Makoto Tachibana and his best friend Haruka Nanase, as well as their friend and rival Rin Matsuoka, this particular set of releases has provided a bit of a break from that. Although they too are cashing in on the oodles of fangirls wanting to get their hands on a sexy version of the trio, they also didn't start with Makoto and Haru like most companies do. They decided to make these figures based on the Free! Eternal Summer OVA which featured Makoto, Haru, Rin, Sousuke, Rei, Nagisa, Momo, and Ai, the entire main teams from both Iwatobi and Samezuka chasing each other around at a school festival with water guns, resulting in some hilarious antics. They started this lineup with Rin and Sousuke to much success and are continuing on with a Makoto and Haru duo which will undoubtedly meet with just as much success, if not more, than Rin and Sousuke did, leaving fan girls around the world screaming. Hopefully if this line continues to be successful, we will see the first scale figures of some of the other characters. From the scandalously skewed shirt and pants positions to the fact that they are all soaking wet, causing their shirts to cling to their skin and bountifully muscular forms, showing just enough skin to tease, these figures are 100% eye candy. As with many female figures, these are made purely to look at in awe and in reverence of their attractiveness. Which is totally fine, since they haven't compromised their personalities for this. Makoto looks like the sweet angel he is and Haru looks like the water-loving quiet guy he is. No release dates for either of these at the moment, but expect Makoto first!

Makoto Tachibana Water Gun ver. (Free! Eternal Summer)

Haruka Nanase Water Gun ver. (Free! Eternal Summer)

10.FREEing featuring Tatsumaki from One Punch Man

One Punch Man took the anime world by storm last fall as it aired for the first time in Japan, making it to American TV and English broadcasting in near record time. Announcements, events, and merchandise for the series were abundant at Anime Expo this year, also featuring a scale figure from Sentinel of the main character Saitama. It was only a matter of time before another company jumped on the One Punch Man scale figure wagon. FREEing, who specializes in gorgeous bishoujo figures, is bringing this wonderful character to life. She definitely has the "loli" look in the animation, and they have so far kept faithfully to that look. Tatsumaki is in good hands with the people of FREEing and it seems to be coming along quite nicely, her figure delicate but strong and her curls light and bouncy. The only thing that I find slightly bothersome about this version of the prototype is her left knee and leg which seem to rotated at an unnatural angle currently. Hopefully they will fix that in future prototypes and for the painted release, but even if they don't I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Tatsumaki (One Punch Man)

11.Broccoli featuring Lindow Amamiya; Good Smile Company featuring Alisa Illinichina Amiella from God Eater

Again, two different characters and two different companies but they are both from the same series, God Eater. Originally a video game and recently adapted to an anime, God Eater has found an increase in popularity thanks to the anime's promotion of the already fairly well-known game series. The laid back but capable Captain Lindow Amamiya of the Fenrir Far East Branch's legendary First Unit is taken up by Broccoli and is seen here standing nonchalantly with his massive God Arc perched menacingly on his shoulder as if saying he doesn't need to use it, but one wrong move and he won't hesitate. The beloved captain will hopefully have some information released for when we can expect a pre-order in the next few months.

Broccoli Lindow Amamiya (God Eater)

The other God Eater figure that stood out this time around was another sculpt of the strong and terribly powerful Alisa. She had had multiple figures made of her, ranging from posing with her God Arc to being caught in action using it. However, many of the previous figures always had one thing that made it seem a bit strange or that I did not quite find aesthetically pleasing. However, everything seems to be right with this version. Although I would love a version of her in action, in this posed version brought to life by Good Smile Company, I feel as if the rubble beneath her feet and the one suspender off of her shoulder speaks to the aftermath of a battle well fought and won. Even though she is not using her weapon and she is posed in a way that is clearly meant to be fan service-y, she undeniably seems to radiate victory and success. I think it speaks volumes that she is posed in a way that utilizes her sex appeal, but does not take away from her power, dignity, or her successes as a strong and talented God Eater. The aura she radiates is intoxicating for exactly these reasons. As Spike Spiegel says, "I love a woman who can kick my ass". Well said, Spike. Alisa is currently available for pre-order, and she usually doesn't last for too long, so make sure you get one reserved!

Good Smile Company Alisa Illnichina Amiella (God Eater)

12.Phat Company featuring Jibril from No Game, No Life

There may not be any second season or official anime adaptations of any kind available for No Game, No Life yet, but at least they're still coming out with plenty of merchandise! Next line to get a figure after several versions of Shiro being released in Jibril. Following the unique color scheme that focuses on utilizing pastel colors in a color gradient format to add an ethereal feeling to the image of a virtual character made to be seen as a character in the real world. True to her habits and her love for knowledge, she is seen with a large pile of books pulled from her enormous personal library. No information on a release date yet, but since she has been fully painted, it is likely to be any day now. Get her while you can!

Jibril (No Game, No Life)

13.Max Factory featuring Hotaru Shidare from Dagashi Kashi

Another new attendee to the anime table, Hotaru Shidare of WInter 2016 anime series Dagashi Kashi has also found herself with multiple figures. Between the one from Max Factory and another version done by a separate company, this version is a little simpler, but gives her much more personality, rather than focusing on sex appeal as the other option seems to. Hotaru Shidare is absolutely obsessed with inexpensive, Japanese candy and snacks, called dagashi, and it would only make sense to have someone as enamored with them as she is to be holding some when she is immortalized in PVC, ABS mixture form. Holding a total of 4 unidentified dagashi in her hands, she seems to come to life with her sweet smile and quirky personality as she begins to tell you the history of her favorite snacks. Considering she is all painted, we should hear word of her pre-order release soon! Happy snacking!

Hotaru Shidare (Dagashi Kashi)

All in all, this year's Summer WonFes was quite successful, particularly for fans of Touken Ranbu, iDOLM@STER, KanColle, Love Live!, and Haikyuu!!, who all were given multiple figure announcements, prototypes, and releases. This year also provided a notable amount of "revival" figures from anime that have long finished or who are currently experiencing a new rush of popularity. Some examples are the ever popular Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist and the newly airing D. Gray-Man HALLOW anime, back after more than ten years off the air. Of course, fans of more niche and newer series also found cause to rejoice when series like Show by Rock, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, High School Star Musical, Natsume's Book of Friends, and even the currently airing Days just to name a few, were all blessed with figure announcements and prototypes, some even garnering multiples across companies or featuring several characters. Let's see what the future holds for these figures!