Summer Travel Made Easier

Summer Travel Made Easier

Becoming a savvy traveler.

4
Summer Travel Made Easier
boomeresque

It’s that time of the year again, time for summer vacations. Just like we plan our vacations, we should plan how to efficiently get through the airport.

There have been many stories on the news about the lines to get through TSA at area airports. It’s not as easy as it used to be to just get on a flight. You can wait as long as two hours to get through the line sometimes. That seems a little ridiculous, but it’s all in the name of safety. We have a lot do with these long waits because most people don’t take the time to read posted signs of what they can bring through security and what’s not allowed. First and foremost, if you consider yourself a frequent traveler who travels at least five times a year, you should have signed up with TSA precheck. This system is a blessing; it gets you out of those long security lines and you don’t have to take your shoes off, added bonus. TSA agents have been let go because they thought more people would have signed up for the program, but it has not caught on as much they thought. It’s a simple process to sign up; it cost $85.00 for five years, a bargain, then you fill out a form and they do a background check just to make sure you are not a criminal. You can usually find out within a week or so if you have been approved. Then, it’s smooth sailing through the lines.

If you are not one of those people who travels a lot, put on a good act. Act like you know what you have to do to get through TSA, make sure you have no water on your person at all, because that will definitely make them go through your stuff. Some people don’t get the concept of not bringing anything liquid that’s over three ounces. People, this means no perfume, no lotions, no juice, no body washes, nothing over 3 ounces. It’s sad to see how many grown people are still trying to get through checkpoints with these liquids. I would be hurt if I had to get rid of perfume that I spent over a hundred dollars for because it’s 4 ounces, but they will make you get rid of it because you can’t take it through. A simple solution for this problem is to buy travel sizes of your favorite perfumes. I know Macy's carries them and they are not that expensive. You can go to Target or Wal-Mart to get travel sizes of other basic necessities and you should have no problems taking them through. Another line hold-up is people who wear shoes that take them a long time to take off. When you’re traveling, comfort should be a priority; some airports have you walk far to get to the gates, so you’re better off wearing comfortable shoes. Wear something that you can easily slip on and off when you get to the checkpoint. It is no fun for the people behind you that have to wait for you to pull your shoes off and if you are running late for your flight, you want to have on something that you can easily put back on.

If you are traveling with small children, that can be a strain, but there are certain things you can do to expedite that process too. Try if you can not to carry the big bulky strollers because you have to lift it to put it through the machine to be screened and that’s a hassle if you’re carrying a baby too. Use one of the ones you can maneuver with one hand, it’s easier. Another thing, children under 12 can keep their shoes on, so you don’t have to worry about that when you’re traveling with two or three children as long as they are under 12. Be sure to get to the airport early because what can go wrong will go wrong when traveling with children. It’s always a good idea as much as possible to have more than one adult when traveling with children because it’s hard to control them in the confines of the airplane; make sure the person with you is going to help you. I’ve been on flights with parents traveling with multiple children where the husbands think they’re not there to help their wives, and they let they wives sit with the children while they sit across the aisle. These women are trying to keep the babies from crying, meanwhile the toddlers are kicking the backs of the chair in front of them and the husbands are sitting there with headphones on. I’ve seen this more than once, and believe me, I want to get up and smack them too. Once you’re on your flight, you want to relax for the two, three, or four hours it takes you to get to your destination, so make sure you have your children’s favorite toys. It might keep them calm for a little while. Most planes have TVs so they can watch cartoons until they get sleepy. Along with their favorite toys, bring along their favorite snack. They still may cry, but you can do as much as you can to make the trip pleasant for everyone.

Some adults need to be mindful of the people around them when they are on flights too; planes are being made smaller and smaller, so there is hardly any elbow room, and if you don’t know the person sitting next to you, it can be awkward, but make the best of the situation. That person will adjust if you do the same. Please, please, please, for the sake of those around you, wear deodorant when you are traveling; with the space being as close as it is, if you haven’t used deodorant, believe me, the people around you can tell. There’s nothing worse than sitting next to someone and every time they shift in their chair, you smell them. That is disgusting. Have courtesy for your fellow traveler!

Portray yourself as that savvy traveler; get the information you need ahead of time so that you can whiz through the airport and get on to the best part: enjoying that week or two you’ve been waiting all year for.

Word of the week: Family time means more than you can imagine, don’t abuse it, enjoy it and store it in your box of memories.