Things to do in Chicago, this summer

From Pixar to Pride: June Favorites

"Summertime Chi, Ah!" - Kanye West

62
From Pixar to Pride: June Favorites

Summertime in Chicago is finally here! For me personally, this meant only working one out of my two jobs, taking less classes, and having the time to go outside much more. As a result, here are some of my favorites things that I've been up to for the past month.

Book: "The Knockoff"

I'm still finishing this book up, but it's been the best one I've read all month. The basic premise of the book so far is that a famous editor in chief of "Glossy" magazine takes a medical leave and finds out upon her return that her beloved magazine is now an app. As of where I am right now, the protagonist is still trying to wrap her head around the newer concepts of social sharing, how to make something trend online, and her newer, younger co-workers. As someone who has worked with digital marketing, but grew up in the age of social media and online search, this book offers a differing point of view of perspectives I otherwise wouldn't have.

Movie: "Incredibles 2"

14 years was worth the wait! As someone who has seen the original movie, but only as a child, I strongly suggest re-watching it a day or two before watching the new ones as the stories takes place immediately after one another. Other than that, be prepared to feel the nostalgia, excitement, and have the audience all around you also be adults.

Chicago Related - Restaurant: Wasabi

Sushi has been my summer - well, my weekly - craving, but as someone with a regular place I don't take the time out to find new restaurants within the same cuisine much. However, I recently went back to an all you can eat sushi place for the first time in over a year, and it was just as good as I remember it. Located right off the Irving Park brown line, Wasabi is pretty much a well known name to the neighborhood, and worth trying out.

Nightlife: Corridor Brewery

While rooftop bars are all the rage in the summer, and I myself have been spotted at a few, most to all of them are located downtown. Oftentimes, the commute has been worth the experience, for views alone, but I do prefer less-expensive places with just as much energy. Located off the Southport Brown Line, Corridor is a small brewery to check out if you're in the west Lakeview area. Right opposite the Amazon book store, the bar & restaurant offers a wide selection, as well as a really simple-but-tasty food menu. Patio seating is also always a plus.

Event: Pride Month

As I've already written an article about how to best navigate these events, I wont say too much about it here, except for that if you didn't go to any of these, you missed out. With Pride Fest being a much more local/neighborhood vibe, and Pride Parade calling in people from all over the country, sometimes, both events radiated energy and fun.

Tourist Attraction: Pixar Exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry

It's the perfect time to be a Disney fan. With the release of the new Incredibles movie, the MSI has a special exhibit showcasing all the science that goes behind a Pixar movie. This goes from research and development, to the actual animation itself. Fun for all ages, this event is a go-to for while it's still in town, so book your tickets ASAP.

My go-to summer spot: Montrose Beach

While Chicago is home to many waterfront options, my favorite out of all of them would have to be Montrose Beach. This is not only due to the fact that the location is walking distance from my apartment, but also because there's a restaurant and a dog beach attached to either side. The last time I was there, I saw an 11 week Golden Retriever puppy playing with a 6 month Beagle puppy.

While I still have so much planned for this summer, like a trip out to San Francisco, visiting family, 4th of July festivities, much more beach time, and a trip back home to wrap the summer up, these have been some of the many things I've gotten up to this month.