Summer Starts Off With A Bang

Summer Starts Off With A Bang

A preview of June 2016's movies

15
Summer Starts Off With A Bang
HollywoodCosmos.com

After an action-packed month at the movies that saw us battling our friends (Civil War), using our bird abilities to defeat the pigs (Angry Birds), returning to a strange land (Alice Through the Looking Glass), and defeating the first mutant (X-Men Apocalypse), May has come and gone at the movies. As we look forward toward June, the landscape offers up some great choices for movies starting with the very first weekend.

June third - The movie going landscape will still have May holdovers X-Men Apocalypse and Alice, but it stands to reason that in order to make room for this week's new releases, holdovers Civil War and Jungle Book will likely either see their runs end or go to a limited run to make room. Speaking of the new releases, this week sees the debuts of three very different and interesting offerings. First up is the Emilia Clarke led romance Me Before You. The timing of this movie is a little confusing to me, as this seems to be a perfect Valentine's Day movie, but delaying it to June may turn out to be a genius move, as this movie will likely be the only real romance offered up this weekend. Add to that fact that Emilia Clarke is riding a wave of momentum from being on one of the most talked about shows going right now, HBO's Game of Thrones, and there is a great chance that this movie will perform very well. For those movie goers that wish for something with a little more action in it, Paramount dips back into the sewer and releases a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Following on the heels of the 2014 original, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :Out of the Shadows promises to be a mostly kid friendly action filled joy ride. The final offering for this weekend will be the Andy Samberg led Popstar Never Stop Popping. Popstar Never Stop Popping looks like the silly type of comedy one should expect from Andy Samberg, but there is no denying that it will hold some appeal to those that go for this kind of comedy. Sprinkle in some other Saturday Night Live alums and some degree of success should be expected for the movie.

June tenth - June really swings into action with this week's debuts. The hysteria of X-Men and Alice should be just about to wane as this week's debuts hit the screen, meaning there should be an opening for a few of these movies to do pretty well on their opening weekends. First up is a movie that is destined to send thousands of computer gamers into a frenzy, Warcraft. Based on the massive hit Blizzard war game of the same name, there is really only one thing I have to say for sure about this movie. In the previews I have seen for this movie, the 3D has looked nothing short of sensational. I have no idea what the plot will be like and whether or not this will be a good movie, but the 3D scenery is the most stunningly beautiful scenery I have seen since Asgard in the first Thor movie. While this movie would be a must see for that reason alone, the fact that it is based on such a fun game adds to the excitement. Another movie opening this weekend is the sequel to 2013's suprise hit, Now You See Me. The original movie ended up feeling like Ocean's 11 with magic, and the sequel looks to be more of the same. Sequels of this type are typically never as good as the original, but the star power of this one should carry it to some modest degree of success. This movie will either be great or it is going to be terrible, there really is no middle ground to be expected with this one. Finally, this weekend welcomes The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Experiment. There is a strong hope that this will be the horror movie that May's The Darkness failed to be.

June 17th - A hilarious looking comedy and a highly anticipated sequel highlight the offerings of the middle weekend of June. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Kevin Hart pair up to investigate a crime in Central Intelligence. The trailers for this movie have been nothing short of hilarious. Putting Kevin Hart in a comedy is one of the surest bets going in Hollywood right now. Add to that the surprisingly funny Johnson and you have all the ingredients necessary for a hit. In 2003, Disney and Pixar released Finding Nemo, which would go on to become one of the most successful animated movies of all time. This week, they will release Finding Dory as a sequel to that massive hit featuring the voice talents of Ellen DeGeneres. Expectations for this movie are through the roof, as it is expected that this movie will be a massive hit for Disney and Pixar. By the end of this movie's run, Disney's Buena Vista production studio should surpass $1.5 Billion domestically for the year, an absurd figure to reach before the end of June.

June 24th - A huge sequel 20 years in the making and a period piece highlight the new movies of this weekend. In 1996, Will Smith was launched into the American consciousness as a box office mega star when he starred in Fox's Independence Day. Hailed as one of the biggest box office hits of all time, Independence Day went on to earn over $300 million domestically. Sequels were rumored for years until it had finally felt like too much time had passed for one to happen. This week, Fox finally launches Independence Day Resurgence, which will be a huge hit on name value alone. Will Smith does not appear in this one, but many others from the original do return in this sci-fi thrill ride. Led by Matthew McConoughey and Keri Russell, Free State of Jones looks like a very interesting movie. Based on the story of a Mississippi farmer that rebels against the Confederacy in the days of the Civil War, this trailer has looked to be very intense and amazing.

So, there we have it, a month's worth of amazing movies coming to a theater near you. If there is a common thread for this month's releases, it is this. I have often been very critical of Hollywood in the past for making terrible trailers for movies. The trailers for this month's movies have been very good, whetting the appetite and making you want to see the movies without revealing too many plot details as to spoil surprises in these movies. If this is the direction that Hollywood is headed for making trailers for movies, then bravo Hollywood, keep up the good work! Until next month, see you at the movies.