Summer: Expectations Vs. Reality

Summer: Expectations Vs. Reality

How your summer will really turn out.

23
Summer: Expectations Vs. Reality
Google Images

After school is out, everyone is ready for a relaxing, yet productive summer. Summer is a time to hang with friends, to make a little bit of money, and to set yourself up for another pending school year. However, our expectations for our summer don’t always happen exactly as we plan them. Here are just a few summer expectations, and of course, the reasonable, most likely outcomes.

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to wake up early every day so I can maximize my time.”

Reality: “Does 1pm count as early?”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to work out everyday so I finally get a killer body.”

Reality: “Well, I spent $50 on a gym membership and still the only time I have ever gone to the gym was to pay the fee.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to eat healthy so I feel great.”

Reality: “It’s day two and I have already eaten three large pizzas, a box of powdered donuts, two boxes of Lucky Charms, and an entire cake… So yup, the diet is going well.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to hang out with my high school friends almost every day.”

Reality: “I think my friends are going to put out a missing person report soon because no one has seen me since senior year of high school.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to go to the beach every week, go to the new club downtown, go to the new nature park down the street, go to all the historical sites near my city, etc.”

Reality: “I still haven't left the one-mile radius around my house.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to save all of my money.”

Reality: “So, there was a great sale at Nordstrom Rack and then I just had to buy that Kate Spade purse and of course had to go out to dinner since I was at the mall… So now I have $8.94 in my bank account.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to go to work no matter how sick or tired I am.”

Reality: *rolls over in bed* “Do I really need this job?”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to learn a new hobby or talent.”

Reality: “Well, there are three days left of summer and so far I have mastered the talents of going to bed too late, eating too much in my bed, and watching everything on Netflix, all of which I had mastered about 4 years ago.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to take summer courses to get ahead in my studies so I can finish with a double major and double minor in an employable field.”

Reality: “I can get a job in underwater basket weaving, right?”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to hang out more with my family.”

Reality: “If it wasn't for all of the family pictures downstairs, my family would probably just think that the weird noises coming from my room were being made from a ghost.”

Expectation: “This summer, I’m going to figure out what I am going to do with my life.”

Reality: *Finds self watching the 50th video of cute puppies on BuzzFeed* “So how do I make a living by playing with puppies all day?”

I wish you all the best of luck while attempting to fulfill your summer expectations!