My Summer Of Rom-Coms

My Summer Of Netflix Rom-Coms

While Netflix was not a giant part of my summer, those Rom-Coms that were released kind of were! This article contains spoilers of The Kissing Booth and To All The Boys I've Loved Before.

53
My Summer Of Netflix Rom-Coms
https://pixabay.com/en/netflix-remote-control-electronic-2705725/

The Kissing Booth vs. To All The Boys I've Loved Before. This has become the great debate of Instagram and Twitter. I've watched both of these movies multiple times in dealing with all of my emotions this summer. I laughed, my stomach did some somersaults, and I think I even cried at one point.

I watched The Kissing Booth after seeing clips of it all over Instagram. It was cute, and it was bad, but it was good at the same time. Elle and Noah were comically cute. Jacob Elordi (Noah) is a foot taller than Joey King (Elle) and it's adorable. They are also dating in real life that increases the cute factor by ten!

I first watched The Kissing Booth before my breakup, and I was thinking how this kind of relationship isn't really realistic. I watched it again post-breakup, and I still felt that way. But it made me feel a little better for the 2 hours that I was watching it.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before is so sweet and so realistically portrayed, in my opinion. Whereas Elle and Noah were cute, it just didn't feel the most real relationship. Peter and Lara Jean were fake to start and then grew to have genuine feelings. I watched this movie after my breakup. And I was kind of disconnected from it all. But it was really, really cute. Lara Jean feels really realistic to me, as does Peter because he isn't perfect but is always trying.

To sum it up, I don't really think we need to put these movies against each other. I think they both serve a purpose. The Kissing Booth is unrealistic but adorable. To All The Boys I've Loved Before is realistic and nice and heartwarming. I like them both. I don't know how helpful they are to deal with breakups but that's okay. I need a little silliness sometimes.