Summer Movie Headliners

Summertime. A halted period where time stands still and suddenly, everyone has 16+ hours they normally wouldn't to do whatever it is they want to do. For many people, it's working and traveling. Sometimes summer's boring. Sometimes, it can be way too exciting to be good for anyone. However, there will always be something that most people can agree on being the perfect way to leave reality -even if for a couple hours- and simply be. Be happy, be sad, be angry, hyped, but just be. And for this very reason, it seems that some of the best movies get released during the summertime. Convenient, right? Now, we all also know that the movies have steadily become more and more expensive, especially as production costs for most films have skyrocketed. But some movies are just meant to be seen in theaters, and are worth every penny spent. Here are four new releases that have come out this summer that you must see before they leave the silver screen!

1. Alice Through The Looking Glass

The striking sequel to Alice in Wonderland, this movie surrounds Alice as she slips back into Wonderland. Trouble is stirring as one of Alice's closest friends, the Mad Hatter, slips into an almost fatal depression regarding the loss of his family. Alice must battle not only Time himself, but the wrath of the Red Queen, destiny, and all that has been and all that will be.

2. X-Men Apocalypse

The X-Men have been around for almost two decades now in film, the first X-Men movie releasing in 2000. This movie is the ninth installment in the film series, as well as a sequel to the movie which released in 2014, X-Men: Days of Future Past. The plot follows the wake of an ancient mutant -believe to be the first of his kind- named En Sabah Nur. Viewers are introduced to new heroes, villains, and all those in between, as well as a reintroduction to the original X-Men squad. En Sabah Nur is intent on taking over the world, and his powers are unlike anything anyone, even Professor X, have laid eyes on. Also, as in most X-Men movies, underlying themes of social discrimination and oppression against mutants plays a great role, once again providing tasteful commentary on the very real problems of racism, sexism, and homo/bi/transphobia in our current society.

3. Finding Dory

It's finally here! This is the movie that I'm assuming most of us "Millennials" have been waiting for this entire summer. Finding Dory is the heartwarming (and heart-wrenching) sequel to the equally marvelous, award-winning animated film Finding Nemo. It follows everyone's favorite blue tang, Dory, as she goes on a quest to find her family. It become a little complicated, what with her short-term memory loss, but as she embarks on her journey, Dory realizes she's more capable than she could ever imagine. Yeah, okay, this one isn't super complicated as far as plot goes, but baby Dory is so cute!

4. Captain America: Civil War

Superhero movies will (probably) never get old. Marvel once again strikes back with a signature superhero movie of the summer. Last year, it was Age of Ultron. This year, civil war breaks loose as the Avengers find themselves unable to stand together on a set of rules and regulations by the United Nations limiting the power the group can have as an organization. Though an earlier release, this one is definitely one to see in theaters while you can. It will tug at your heartstrings, make you laugh, cry, and wish you had more all at the same time!